Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hardtop material

What do you call that stuff on a pipe welders type hardtop? You know, it sounds like a drum when you tap it - looks like fabric but feels hard?

Anyway, mine is starting to degrade because you can see whiteness where it drips on the windows and isinglass. I wonder if I dare to roll a coat of good marine paint on it? There are no frays or tears in it, and it's probably good for another 10 years. So, I'd think a layer of protection would seal, protect and solve the staining.

The spiraling rope that secures it to the pipes has to be replaced as well. I think I've done it before and found some UV resistant stuff online....time flies and I can't remember what I did half the time.

20220602_175720.jpg
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Re: Hardtop material

I think that’s viny and they do sell vinyl coatings that give it more life.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just found a moment to do some reading. I think it's a "polycarbonate hardtop bimini." Is that right? Doesn't sound right.
    Also saw something saying to use acrylic paint. (like Rustoleum exterior in white) Something tells me I might be better off with a couple quarts of Perfection.

Anyone with any success or horror stories, feel free to share before I get out a ladder!
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 06-10-2022 at 04:51 PM.
    1984 52C

Ladder and and extension pole with a fine nap roller cover. I have no idea if it’s a poly carbonate or not I’ve never heard of that material being used as a Bimini top Unless it’s a much thicker material that does not bend over around the edges and tie down with strapping.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Any of you kids remember canvas decks and covers?
    Any of you kids remember painting canvas decks and covers?

Obliviously, it is some kind of flexible material,, Paint it.

You may want to ask Pipe Welders directly.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-10-2022 at 07:06 PM.

Since the cover is attached with a laced rope it's going to be some sort of vinyl product like Weblon or Stamoid.
    All of the vinyl products are going to have a life span breaking down over time from UV.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Yeah, I don't know what to call it, but it painted pretty well. It took 2.5 quarts to cover it...which was more than I thought. You can try to keep the coat thin so it stays a little flexible, but paint settles in between the thead lines.

When it tears I'll get a new top cover, but it'll probably last a lot longer with that UV protection layer. Looks nice and clean now.....
    1984 52C