Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best Engine room Access

Hi Everyone. Was hoping someone could give me some information on which MY will have best access and room to move around once in and easy access to engines, generator and so on. We have been looking at 1980's Hatteras 43,48,53 Aft cabin along with Viking 44 Aft Cab and the Californian 42, 45, and 48. Thanks!

Re: Best Engine room Access

Hatteras 53 MY is the best on the list. 44 Viking MY is by far - the worst.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I can not tell you the best, the 44 Viking is likely one of the worst.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Bigger Hatteras yachts will have stand-up engine rooms (2) which are very good to work in. The smaller Hatteras yachts are still pretty good, but the 50/53 and up are the best.

The engine rooms in the Hatt motoryachts 53' and larger are very nice. They are full stand-up headroom and you can walk-around the engines, great design. All the others you've mentioned are varying flavors of you'll be on your hands and knees whenever you go in there.

Of your list, I can say the Californian 42 has centerline hinge-up stairs in the galley, from which you crawl on hands and knees into the engine space which is about 3-4' tall.

DAN

The 63 MY has outstanding ER access, and genny access,

I love the room in the 53’. However the 70’ has a single engine room that is fabulous.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California