Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Anyone Know What Happened to This 56MY?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Sounds like typical broker speak. <snip> its always easy to say <snip> that its a cheap and simple fix.
    If it was easy and cheap they would have done it. They are basically admitting that it it NOT easy OR cheap.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Do you know the boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    There is so much that’s wrong on that boat … it maybe the first time the engines are the least of the worries!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    Do you know the boat?
    I get the impression you feel compelled to defend a boat you haven’t seen yet either, which sort of indicates you’re justifying a decision you’re already internally committed to. If that’s the case, then cool, no one is attacking you or the boat. We’ll all follow your restoration with interest. The point of a forum is to share knowledge. Ideally that happens before somebody makes a mistake, when it can still do some good. He’s not wrong. The listing self-identifies a bunch of issues. Don’t buy into the ‘it’s easy/cheap to fix’ claims, e.g. injectors. That would be a $250k boat in good condition, if the problem was really a cheap fix they’d have already fixed it instead of having to explain it to buyers and selling the boat for six figures under market. The owners themselves are telling you with that price something is wrong with it. This is a seller’s market, there are no super great deals right now. How long it stays that way is always a tossup, economic cycles affect boats and airplanes probably more than any other asset class, but a strong market is the case at the moment. When you add to that the other issues like it has to be disassembled and moved, this boat is just a lot of hassle compared to buying one that’s already in good shape and located on a navigable body of water. Don’t be that guy who buys the cheapest boat because it’s cheap, then 5 years later by the time you finally get it disassembled, reassembled, and back in good enough shape to actually spend a weekend out on it without half the stuff onboard breaking, you’ll already sick to death of the thing and selling it. Spend your time boating not fixing. It took me ages to learn that lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I get the impression you feel compelled to defend a boat you haven’t seen yet either, which sort of indicates you’re justifying a decision you’re already internally committed to. If that’s the case, then cool, no one is attacking you or the boat. We’ll all follow your restoration with interest. The point of a forum is to share knowledge. Ideally that happens before somebody makes a mistake, when it can still do some good. He’s not wrong. The listing self-identifies a bunch of issues. Don’t buy into the ‘it’s easy/cheap to fix’ claims, e.g. injectors. That would be a $250k boat in good condition, if the problem was really a cheap fix they’d have already fixed it instead of having to explain it to buyers and selling the boat for six figures under market. The owners themselves are telling you with that price something is wrong with it. This is a seller’s market, there are no super great deals right now. How long it stays that way is always a tossup, economic cycles affect boats and airplanes probably more than any other asset class, but a strong market is the case at the moment. When you add to that the other issues like it has to be disassembled and moved, this boat is just a lot of hassle compared to buying one that’s already in good shape and located on a navigable body of water. Don’t be that guy who buys the cheapest boat because it’s cheap, then 5 years later by the time you finally get it disassembled, reassembled, and back in good enough shape to actually spend a weekend out on it without half the stuff onboard breaking, you’ll already sick to death of the thing and selling it. Spend your time boating not fixing. It took me ages to learn that lesson.
    I don't know. I can see your point, but none of us have actually been on that boat. Maybe its a disaster or maybe its a steal. The only way we'll know for sure is for someone to go look at it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I don't know. I can see your point, but none of us have actually been on that boat. Maybe its a disaster or maybe its a steal. The only way we'll know for sure is for someone to go look at it.
    Anything’s possible. Law of averages says somebody has to get lucky to offset all my bad luck.

I thought you might have seen the boat. That why I asked the question. I'm not defending the boat. I was just checking on prices for replacing injectors/engine over hall, shipping and tear down to move it. . My plan was to get it back to Florida and docked behind my house and start working on it. I have 3 years before I retire, so get it fixed up and go traveling. But after giving it some thought I'm going to pass on it. There's only one guy that can move it and if he can't I'm stuck with a boat on lake in Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    I thought you might have seen the boat. That why I asked the question. I'm not defending the boat. I was just checking on prices for replacing injectors/engine over hall, shipping and tear down to move it. . My plan was to get it back to Florida and docked behind my house and start working on it. I have 3 years before I retire, so get it fixed up and go traveling. But after giving it some thought I'm going to pass on it. There's only one guy that can move it and if he can't I'm stuck with a boat on lake in Texas.
    I never went and saw it, I called about it when the listing first popped up a few years ago. I don’t know anything about Texas so it didn’t dawn on me that something this size would be sitting on a landlocked lake in the middle of nowhere. I just figured it was in the part that’s on the gulf and I could just bring it back down to florida. Once all this was all explained to me I lost interest. I’ve moved other boats before, I know it’s a hassle and it’s expensive. I think you came to the right conclusion on this one.

I haven't seen this boat. But I would not take the word of the person who wrote the listing concerning what might be wrong with the engine(s). Finding that out is why a prospective buyer gets an engine survey. As said, if it were that easy, it would be done already. It probably isn't that easy.

I have been on this boat (a little over a year ago).

The good: I did not notice any core issues on the decks, the boat is all there and largely original, she is stored under cover so the UV hasn't eaten everything up, the AC was working properly

The bad: She has been sitting in the slip unused for years, I have no idea of the condition of the mechanical systems, she's covered in bird poop and the interior is in need of a major cleanup and refresh.

This boat would be a project--just cleaning her up would make a big difference and you would have a better idea of what you were working with and the mechanicals are a big unknown. The other big issue is that she is a very big boat on a landlocked lake and that isn't everyone's thing. There is a 66' Chris Craft Constellation on the same lake (you read that right, a Chris Craft version of the Pacemaker 66) that is beautiful and she has lingered on the market too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsherid1 View Post
    I have been on this boat (a little over a year ago).

The good: I did not notice any core issues on the decks, the boat is all there and largely original, she is stored under cover so the UV hasn't eaten everything up, the AC was working properly

The bad: She has been sitting in the slip unused for years, I have no idea of the condition of the mechanical systems, she's covered in bird poop and the interior is in need of a major cleanup and refresh.

This boat would be a project--just cleaning her up would make a big difference and you would have a better idea of what you were working with and the mechanicals are a big unknown. The other big issue is that she is a very big boat on a landlocked lake and that isn't everyone's thing. There is a 66' Chris Craft Constellation on the same lake (you read that right, a Chris Craft version of the Pacemaker 66) that is beautiful and she has lingered on the market too.
    I heard that Chris Craft built two of these 66 foot boats. One for the President of Chris Craft and one for the Chairman of OMC . Supposedly all of the Pacemaker problems were solved, wooden window frames , fuel tank material and such . Beautiful boats , but a small engine room height. I heard that the other boat is in California. Earlier, Chris Craft built a handful of 65 ft Constellations. Even better looking in my opinion. The hulls were wooden and the house was fiberglass. Also ,a couple of raised pilot house versions of the 65 were made , not as good looking as the cruiser style.
    Last edited by jmooney; 06-22-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL