Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Anyone Know What Happened to This 56MY?

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    I thought you might have seen the boat. That why I asked the question. I'm not defending the boat. I was just checking on prices for replacing injectors/engine over hall, shipping and tear down to move it. . My plan was to get it back to Florida and docked behind my house and start working on it. I have 3 years before I retire, so get it fixed up and go traveling. But after giving it some thought I'm going to pass on it. There's only one guy that can move it and if he can't I'm stuck with a boat on lake in Texas.
    Hey Kap'n,

I think you're doing the right thing. I'm about 7 years from retiring and bought my retirement Hatt during COVID. Having it on the dock behind your house makes ALL the difference. Instead of wasting time in front of the idiot box at night, working on the boat has been a pleasure. You bring in a pro for the things you don't want to touch, and save a fortune doing the rest. Best of all, you'll know every inch of her by the time you're ready to cruise.

People like to disparage a boat with problems but a new paint job - lipstick on a pig. However, it seems like I always end-up replacing all the pumps and lines and endless accessories anyway because they wear out and age. Other than significant engine problems, painting the boat is probably the most expensive thing...and probably best left to professionals.

As this economy continues to tank and fuel prices are vomitus, something nice will pop-up closer to home. Might want to have a Hatteras veteran bring her home with you though! That first trip home was a doozy, with the steering lines blown and stuff going wrong everywhere, and mine was only 6 miles away.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Freebird for the win, for delivery. Don't leave home without him.

Hello all I,m a new bee here just joined yesterday & my forum handle is Honey Sea. A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum. The first thread I stumble upon is this one. I have first hand info from the guy who owns the marina where this boat is floating for the last almost 8 years. His name is Mike Callahan and besides owning the Marina he is also the broker for the boat & I spoke with him last Thursday more out of curiosity then any thing else.
    Like I said it,s been kept in the water under a shed for almost 8 yrs. The owner called Mike & told him to reduce it to $99,000 and take all offers. The boat does not run but the port engine I believe will start and run for a while the starboard will not start he says the injectors need cleaning. He said the boat is a project boat. Out side is a mess with bird poop and everything else imaginary covering it. It needs wood work and deck work. In side is pretty well appointed but needs a complete spit and polish to use his words. Me thinks there isn't enough SPIT in the big state of TEXAS to clean it but i,m sure it will clean up.
    Now for the $64,000 dollar question how do you get a 56 ft. boat to the Gulf Of Mex from a lake on the Texas/Oklahoma boarder. 2 way,s. First one, You hire a boat transporter to haul it to Houston for $28,000 or there abouts. Then you find a marina in Houston that can put the boat in the water for you. (additional cost) Then you drive the boat to your home port unless you think you might have to do some work before hand.
    The other alternative would be to float it down the Arkansas river from the lake where it now sits and navigate it thru other tributary's to the Gulf.
    Mike Callahan all most begged me to come take a look at it I don,t think to many people get up Pottsboro Texas on the Oklahoma border. And by the way the closest Detroit Diesel dealership is about 150 miles away. So that,s the deal.
    And as you guessed I am in the market for a boat just like that one only not a project.
    Good to be aboard hope to share and listen to all.

Thanks
    Honey Sea But y,all can just call me HONEY
    SEMPER FI
    Last edited by honeysea; 06-28-2022 at 07:33 PM.

4. Re: Anyone Know What Happened to This 56MY?

Quote Originally Posted by honeysea View Post
    Hello all I,m a new bee here just joined yesterday & my forum handle is Honey Sea. A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum. The first thread I stumble upon is this one. I have first hand info from the guy who owns the marina where this boat is floating for the last almost 8 years. His name is Mike Callahan and besides owning the Marina he is also the broker for the boat & I spoke with him last Thursday more out of curiosity then any thing else.
    Like I said it,s been kept in the water under a shed for almost 8 yrs. The owner called Mike & told him to reduce it to $99,000 and take all offers. The boat does not run but the port engine I believe will start and run for a while the starboard will not start he says the injectors need cleaning. He said the boat is a project boat. Out side is a mess with bird poop and everything else imaginary covering it. It needs wood work and deck work. In side is pretty well appointed but needs a complete spit and polish to use his words. Me thinks there isn't enough SPIT in the big state of TEXAS to clean it but i,m sure it will clean up.
    Now for the $64,000 dollar question how do you get a 56 ft. boat to the Gulf Of Mex from a lake on the Texas/Oklahoma boarder. 2 way,s. First one, You hire a boat transporter to haul it to Houston for $28,000 or there abouts. Then you find a marina in Houston that can put the boat in the water for you. (additional cost) Then you drive the boat to your home port unless you think you might have to do some work before hand.
    The other alternative would be to float it down the Arkansas river from the lake where it now sits and navigate it thru other tributary's to the Gulf.
    Mike Callahan all most begged me to come take a look at it I don,t think to many people get up Pottsboro Texas on the Oklahoma border. And by the way the closest Detroit Diesel dealership is about 150 miles away. So that,s the deal.
    And as you guessed I am in the market for a boat just like that one only not a project.
    Good to be aboard hope to share and listen to all.

Thanks
    Honey Sea But y,all can just call me HONEY
    SEMPER FI
    Thanks for the truth. Since you are now actively boat hunting, let me ask you a couple of questions that will help you decide if the boat you think you want is actually the right boat - if you don’t mind.

1. How many people do you intend to sleep on the boat, and for how often? Perhaps you really don’t need to be dragging all those empty rooms around, when there’s usually nice hotels nearby. Hotels that guests would actually prefer to stay at vs having to be on their best behavior around you? And at a hotel you don’t have to have that awkward lecture about tampons and toilet paper with women.
    If you eliminate that need for extra staterooms, you can buy a smaller boat. Which reminds me that I met a family at Plaza Venetia (had a office out at the fuel dock) in Miami years ago on a 27’ outboard powered cabin cruiser that had come from Mexico and was touring America (years before “the Loop” was a thing) who went from hotel to hotel. His beautiful wife and kids sure looked all happy, clean, and relaxed to me. I remember thinking “smart guy”.

2. How fast and far do you realistically intend to go? Are big OLD diesels with fewer and fewer mechanics and part availability the way to go? Four stroke outboards are quite fuel efficient. Modern diesels are quite efficient, for example a 48’ Fountain will cruise at 50 mph burning only a gallon per mile with three 480hp Cummins diesels which makes jumps across the GOM or deep into the Bahamas and back pretty quick. And those engines can be R&R pretty damn fast. A cruising power Cat like a PDQ is super fuel efficient.

3. Do you want to actually go cruising or just work on a boat for years, especially when there’s such a supply chain shortage of parts, or anyone to help you? I’ve personally watched a LOT of long haired skinny young dudes turn into old fat balding dudes with white ponytails at Riverbend, Summerfields, and Chinook boatyards in Ft. Lauderdale , who NEVER got their boats launched before they were destroyed and put in dumpsters. Hashish isn’t as available now like it used to be, and by golly gee, that stuff made people really dream for sure.

4. Then there’s insurance and dockage. So MAYBE you would be happier with a smaller newer faster boat that can actually be insured, and Dockmasters won’t make the signs of the cross (like you do for vampires) with their fingers when they see you coming. Another benefit is that it will be much easier to sell, when you realize you’ve “Been there-done that” and are ready to cut that money sucking biatch loose.

5. If your shopping on a budget, focus on old fiberglass Chris Crafts. Their gel coat is phenomenal, fittings don’t corrode away and since they were so well designed (you don’t have to walk up on one backwards), many stay in the hands of their original owners for quite the long time. You will also get a bonus discount from a seller if you say “I piss on the grave of F. Lee Bailey!”
    Good luck amigo.
    Although I’m retired, I still keep my website alive PURELY for historical purposes. “Old Print Ads-Long live the internet” at “yachtsforu.com”
    Last edited by Retired1; 06-29-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Thanks for the truth. Since you are now actively boat hunting, let me ask you a couple of questions that will help you decide if the boat you think you want is actually the right boat - if you don’t mind.

1. How many people do you intend to sleep on the boat, and for how often? Perhaps you really don’t need to be dragging all those empty rooms around, when there’s usually nice hotels nearby. Hotels that guests would actually prefer to stay at vs having to be on their best behavior around you? And at a hotel you don’t have to have that awkward lecture about tampons and toilet paper with women.
    If you eliminate that need for extra staterooms, you can buy a smaller boat. Which reminds me that I met a family at Plaza Venetia (had a office out at the fuel dock) in Miami years ago on a 27’ outboard powered cabin cruiser that had come from Mexico and was touring America (years before “the Loop” was a thing) who went from hotel to hotel. His beautiful wife and kids sure looked all happy, clean, and relaxed to me. I remember thinking “smart guy”.

2. How fast and far do you realistically intend to go? Are big OLD diesels with fewer and fewer mechanics and part availability the way to go? Four stroke outboards are quite fuel efficient. Modern diesels are quite efficient, for example a 48’ Fountain will cruise at 50 mph burning only a gallon per mile with three 480hp Cummins diesels which makes jumps across the GOM or deep into the Bahamas and back pretty quick. And those engines can be R&R pretty damn fast. A cruising power Cat like a PDQ is super fuel efficient.

3. Do you want to actually go cruising or just work on a boat for years, especially when there’s such a supply chain shortage of parts, or anyone to help you? I’ve personally watched a LOT of long haired skinny young dudes turn into old fat balding dudes with white ponytails at Riverbend, Summerfields, and Chinook boatyards in Ft. Lauderdale , who NEVER got their boats launched before they were destroyed and put in dumpsters. Hashish isn’t as available now like it used to be, and by golly gee, that stuff made people really dream for sure.

4. Then there’s insurance and dockage. So MAYBE you would be happier with a smaller newer faster boat that can actually be insured, and Dockmasters won’t make the signs of the cross (like you do for vampires) with their fingers when they see you coming. Another benefit is that it will be much easier to sell, when you realize you’ve “Been there-done that” and are ready to cut that money sucking biatch loose.

Good luck amigo.
    The guy just joined ! Don’t rain on his parade , let him dream . In the mean time , he can help me in the yard .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

6. Re: Anyone Know What Happened to This 56MY?

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    The guy just joined ! Don’t rain on his parade , let him dream . In the mean time , he can help me in the yard .
    LOL. I’m selling “skipping across the waves under clear sky’s, rainbows, and starry nights with beautiful firm bodied naked girls who never have to use the heads”, while they chant. “ Go Papi Lindo Go!”
    Last edited by Retired1; 06-29-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Actually, I was going to do a live aboard Makes a lot of sense let me rethink this a while.
    Honey

Quote Originally Posted by honeysea View Post
    Actually, I was going to do a live aboard Makes a lot of sense let me rethink this a while.
    Honey
    We have a 61 Hatteras, its main use is as a live aboard , and it is very comfortable it that aspect. This 56 would be nice too. However the idea a dragging a half operable boat to a Marina usually won’t happen. It’s great to go out in the boat, even for a short trip . If you are like most of us , you will try to have your boat in the best condition possible. I enjoy working on the boat, But it can be overwhelming at times. I would buy the best boat that I could afford. Retired 1 has a good point. I have heard a good saying, buy the smallest boat that you can afford. I bought our boat for $390k 20 years ago. One way or another , it has probably cost us a million, I wouldn’t change a thing . Welcome aboard and good luck .
    Last edited by jmooney; 06-29-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Just saw sale pending on this Hatteras.

Hope whoever buys it shows up on the HOF.