Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is a 43 MY big enough for a couple to live on?

I want to sell my power catamaran and get a Hatteras. I want a strong reliable boat with a real bedroom not something I have to climb into. My wife and I, our two dogs and a cat spend almost all our time in the Bahamas. We want to live on the boat and rent our house in the Bahamas during the winter. We will also travel between Fl and Bahamas a couple of times a year so I’m hoping to find a boat with stabilizers and good dinghy storage.

I think a 43 is big enough but I haven’t been on one yet. I want to live anchored out to avoid Marinas so I need a boat that doesn’t have to have a generator on all the time. I will add Solar and Lithium batteries.

What are the costs of ownership and operation of a 43 versus a 53, or 48? I figure a 43 is simpler, easier to care for, less stuff to break or keep power to.

I would love to have a cockpit and easy access to swim platform and dinghy for my dogs and my self. Anyone found a good way to set up dog friendly stairs down to the swim platform.
    There was a 42 cockpit for sale recently but it’s sold. There are several nice 43 MY on the market now, so I think they are my best choice.

Hal
    Last edited by ExumaHal; 09-17-2023 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Grammer

Re: Is a 43 MY big enough for a couple to live on?

We too are hoping to live aboard after retirement. We have a 53. I haven't been on a Hatt 42 or 43 but have been on others and it seemed like when you jumped to the 53 that the layout changed and space really opened up. How a Hat 42 is though I couldn't speak to directly but I would imagine it's similar to other makes. We still would like bigger - but doesn't everyone? Size comes at a cost.

As I remember, someone on this forum said buy the smallest you are comfortable with.

Not sure if that's good advise or not, but maybe buy the biggest size you are comfortable with the budget on? Bigger is more maintenance, more transient dock fees, more winter storage (if you have that) more cost for bottom paint, more cost for oil changes, more cost for polish and wax, more cost for divers cleaning bottom (if your in the tropical areas) harder to find marinas with large enough docks, deeper draft and can't go to as many places, taller and could be harder to fit under some bridges (thinking Chicago bridge if you were doing the loop) and of course more fuel just to push it around. Just some thoughts. We are on lake st. clair which is / has very shallow areas and don't get to go to all the fun swim spots due to 4 or 4.5 ft. draft. It's all a matter of compromise. Space vs EVERYTHING else. So maybe whoever said "buy the smallest you can live with" is correct?? Maybe make a pro and con list?

Definitely get on a 42 and a 53 (and/or larger sizes) so you can see and feel the difference.

If you can't find some of each in your area for sale, there might be someone on here willing to let you step aboard and offer advise.

p.s. I'm no expert, this is my first Hat, and only my second year. Just telling the little I have learned during the search / buying process. I'm sure others will chime in that have probably owned various sizes of Hats.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I think a 43 is too small for what you have in mind. 53 is really the minimum for living aboard, either a 53 MY or 53 YF if you don’t mind trading a stateroom for a cockpit

As to costs, the only difference will be what you pay by the foot like dockage, diver and haul outs / bottom paint. The rest makes little difference. Both a 43 and a 53 (or even 58YF) will have two engines, a generator, the same electronics, steering and rudders, trim tabs, 2 props and shafts, electrical panel, similar air con, maybe one less unit, a windlass, water pump, etc. same systems very little difference in size

On the positive side, you ll have twice the storage and space and most importantly much more room to work on the various system saving time, sweat and blood. Compare the engine rooms of a 43 and a 53 and you ll see what I mean.

You re also less likely to find a stabilized 43.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We have lived on a 43 and a 53 and I would agree with all comments and add one more. Where our slip is located we have a great view out the back of the boat. With the main saloon and aft deck of the 53 being on the same level we can take full advantage of our view. With the 43 you are down in a hole in the main saloon and can’t see out the back. Just one more thing to consider.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Yes, we have a 43DC and I agree with these comments.

There are too many ups and downs all the time and the aft deck, salon on one level thing would be a much nicer arrangement.

That said, we spend about 6 months of the year aboard our 43, but, eventually we will upgrade.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I agree with Pascal. I also think you should consult a yacht broker who's experienced and can tell you what other makes of yacht might suit you. I think Hatteras is the best built production boat, and I own one, but there are other good ones out there and you might enlarge the scope of your search a bit. Good luck. Shopping for a boat is fun, esp if you aren't in a hurry.

Our 1966 Hatteras 50 is the earlier incarnation of the 53, having the same layout. We are not full time liveaboards but have often spent three months and more cruising the Bahamas, the US and Canada. For two of us this size is ideal. We use the aft cabin, split the two aft heads, use the bow stateroom for storage of (many) spare parts and our bikes. The guest cabin is available for friends and family. Between the three cabins and the salon sofa bed we can accommodate eight with only slight inconvenience, and no problem at all with only six. The galley dinette converts to a purported double but we only used this once. It was awkward to get into and screws up everyone else's access to coffee and breakfast.

We don't have stabilizers. For open ocean passages I run on plane, around 16 kts, where manual steering keeps us generally upright. (The Admiral does not like rolling!) If it looks rough we stay put. In shallow waters we travel at hull speed where I suspect most use their stabilizers. Again, if rough we don't go. I understand that stabilizers can cost about one knot at top. I also worry that in Bahamian shallow water they would be vulnerable to a grounding. Not ever having any I don't miss them.

At anchor I run our single 12.5 kw Phasor generator constantly. In the past our fuel use, about 12 gallons per day, seemed to average out to what we would pay at a Bahamian marina at their high electric prices. I have always felt that frequently starting and stopping the generator was not good for it. I might reconsider this today with higher diesel prices. Although I have installed exhaust extraction fans in my generator room long-term running does cause a gradual heat buildup in the galley deck and lower cabinets. More work for the AC. Unfortunately because of Covid our cruising has been limited to Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and back. There we tie up at a marina and enjoy the much lower US electric rates and free water. We run the aft AC as much for the white noise as the cooling. All the rest of our windows and doors are open while we enjoy the aft deck.

Good luck in your quest.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 09-19-2023 at 04:35 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Seems everyone agrees I should get a 53. I really do need to get on these boats. I have a 39 ft power cat now. It’s too small, especially getting to bed which my wife likens to cave dwelling.

I’m still concerned that I’ll be dependent on Marinas or a constantly running generator. That’s a non-starter for me. I need the boat to be able to stay at anchor running on solar and battery alone in Bahamas when I’m away. When onboard I only want to turn on generator when cooking, extending AC running or to recharge batteries. I run a 17000 btu AC unit now on 300 amp hours for 8 hours at night. I have a 600 amp hour bank of 12.8 volt lithium po4 batteries.

I’ve installed solar and lithium systems before with 3000 watt inverter/charger. Great on this little cat with simple systems and two high efficiency AC units. The hatteras is much more complex with more creature comforts. I want those creature comforts but fear the expense and complexity. Even the 43 is more complex than my present

Has anyone changed to multi speed compressor, high efficiency AC systems? Anyone set up their 53 for solar and lithium?

thank you all again for your comments and advice,

Still learning,
    Hal Creech

I think we ve talked in the past on one of the Bahamas groups

Adding solar, batteries and and an inverter is even easier on a 53 because of the all the space available. For instance the 53s and their cousins 58, 56 etc have a lot of space under the galley floor where the generator is located. Years ago I added 8 golf cart batteries and there was room for at least twice that….

I don’t have experience with multi speed compressor as I went the other route and installed a twin chiller system on mine about 5 years ago

Another big plus with the 53 is the excellent natural ventilation of the salon with side doors and opening windows on each side. It takes very little breeze to keep the salon cool even in summer. If running air con in the master on inverter is critical it should’ve pretty easy to set up considering the amount of space for batteries.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

A breeze is free, I like that. Are chillers more efficient than regular AC units? I’ve wondered if that was a good move. Do you have one chiller that services all AC needs?

Probably need to find a very energy efficient fridge, freezer

ill start looking for a 53 yacht fish are something similar.

thanks Pascal,

hal