Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1983 53 MY Hallandale Florida

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpeed View Post
    to Mr Rosenthal's points: Can you share on why the 8V71 is the more preferred engine?

Right now I'm having a hard time justifying that ask price. For comparison theres a newer model 1993 in Naples florida for similar money.
    May I inject my thoughts on this;
    Just by design, the 71s are more forgiving than the 92s.
    Dry cylinder liners vs wet would be my first example. When a 92 over heats, you will learn more the hard way on this.

92s seem to be more of a performance engine, IMO, some seem to slobber more at lower RPMs.
    71s just seem to operate better at lower RPMs.
    With the cost of fuel, increasing in price daily, most folk do operate at real low speeds.

Try to stay away from engines with TA in the model number. TI or N keeps things much simpler, more reliable and less expensive to maintain. Easier for the DIYr to work on.

DDEC engines push the engine tune a little more. For the performance enthusiast, it may help some. May also help in keeping some slobber down.
    IMO, the extra cost and complexity are counter reliable vs what they offer.
    Think of it as an electronic device a hammer can not fix when you are far from your dock.
    DDEC requires lots of electric juice. Some boats have their own battery banks for the ECUs.
    A mechanical Detroit does not need electricity to run. Just to start.

The boat in Naples is a later design, I refer to those models as a Jungle Gym. Constant steeps to every area of the boat. Lots smaller engine room. If you are young and nimble, maybe not an issue today.

If you look at that 53 in Palm Beach Gardens with those strung out Cat3208s. I would take the worst DDC over these Cats.

Engine room size may become an issue for in frame engine rebuilding. Consider this when comparing boat lay-outs.

One last comment about purchasing large boats. Don't wait to the last minute to shop for boat insurance.
    Cost of ownership should be considered also. Beyond dockage and fuel; There is insurance.
    Ask a real marine insurance agent to work with you during your boat shopping.
    Keep a portable defibrillator handy when getting insurance estimates.

Good luck
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-07-2022 at 04:00 PM.

All good advice, but Ralph and I might disagree on Cat 3208s- I have known a lot of watermen on the bay here who love them and keep rebuilding them. Well treated, they are very reliable and sturdy engines for boats. You can't say that about any of the Cat sixes whose numbers start with "31--"- they are far less reliable.

I agree about DDECs, but I have never owned a pair. They add complexity to DDs and don't add reliability, from all I've ever heard.

71 series DDs, with dry liners, are less susceptible to overheating than 92 series, with wet liners and rubber o-rings in there.

Good luck in all this. Ralph is also right about starting the process of getting insurance lined up. Most likely you will have a fair number of hoops to jump through.

"Keep a portable defibrillator handy when getting insurance estimates." Not a bad idea regarding anything with boats, come to think of it.

hey Pascal,

Thanks for the feedback. The 1993 is in Naples, FL. Its on Boattrader, I cant post links yet.

J
    I think I found the one you're talking about, it's a 52 right?

You need to go and see that boat in person before you get excited about it. I looked at one of those when I was shopping. They're only 1' shorter but they feel a lot smaller than a 53. The interior is chopped up into a lot of little rooms all separated by stairs. Plus you miss out on the main benefit of the hatt MY's which is the walkaround engine rooms with real doors, on a 52 you're crawling around to check the oil every time you take it out. I know this sounds like first world problems, but stuff like that will matter to you over time.

The little livability things are always the root of the 2-foot-itis tree. The cheapest boat is usually the one you're going to keep to longest, and almost never the least expensive one for sale. Let's all be honest for a minute, the most money we blow on boats is usually spent on getting a new one then spending $100k to make it what you want it to be, only to want a different one a year or two later. That's where most people go wrong. A boat that's easy to live with solves a lot of that problem.

I've had 15 or 20 people on my 53 for cocktail cruises and believe it or not it somehow doesn't feel crowded. The space just flows together, the rear doors latch open and when you do that it turns the salon and aft deck into one big space, that plus the side doors make it to where the traffic flow never gets congested. I can't imagine doing that with more than 5 or 6 people on a 52 without everyone tripping over each other. It's just a different boat. If the 53 feels like a 70 the 52 feels like a 40, if that makes any sense.

There is a 1987 53 MY with 6v92s for sale in Orange Beach AL (GALATI) named NO RUSH . There is a YOUTUBE video of the boat posted ,looks very nice . Note comments in the YOUTUBE post.

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    There is a 1987 53 MY with 6v92s for sale in Orange Beach AL (GALATI) named NO RUSH . There is a YOUTUBE video of the boat posted ,looks very nice . Note comments in the YOUTUBE post.
    Oh are you talking about this one? It does look very well kept.

Used 1987 Hatteras 53 Motoryacht, 36561 Orange Beach - Boat Trader

Yes that is it . Go to YouTube and search , Hatteras 53 m/y NO RUSH . Looks very nice but note comments . An interested buyer made the video but the deal did not work out .

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I think I found the one you're talking about, it's a 52 right?

You need to go and see that boat in person before you get excited about it. I looked at one of those when I was shopping. They're only 1' shorter but they feel a lot smaller than a 53. The interior is chopped up into a lot of little rooms all separated by stairs. Plus you miss out on the main benefit of the hatt MY's which is the walkaround engine rooms with real doors, on a 52 you're crawling around to check the oil every time you take it out. I know this sounds like first world problems, but stuff like that will matter to you over time.

The little livability things are always the root of the 2-foot-itis tree. The cheapest boat is usually the one you're going to keep to longest, and almost never the least expensive one for sale. Let's all be honest for a minute, the most money we blow on boats is usually spent on getting a new one then spending $100k to make it what you want it to be, only to want a different one a year or two later. That's where most people go wrong. A boat that's easy to live with solves a lot of that problem.

I've had 15 or 20 people on my 53 for cocktail cruises and believe it or not it somehow doesn't feel crowded. The space just flows together, the rear doors latch open and when you do that it turns the salon and aft deck into one big space, that plus the side doors make it to where the traffic flow never gets congested. I can't imagine doing that with more than 5 or 6 people on a 52 without everyone tripping over each other. It's just a different boat. If the 53 feels like a 70 the 52 feels like a 40, if that makes any sense.
    Yes, I understand. Now that I understand the engine room issue on the 1993 52, its a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Yes that is it . Go to YouTube and search , Hatteras 53 m/y NO RUSH . Looks very nice but note comments . An interested buyer made the video but the deal did not work out .
    Curious to see that video and read comments, Cant seem to find it. Incidentally No Rush 1987 53 MY in AL is also on my list of potentials based just on internet browsing.

Curious to see that video and read comments, Cant seem to find it. Incidentally No Rush 1987 53 MY in AL is also on my list of potentials based just on internet browsing.
    Nvm, this is it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILoiCctqko