Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1983 53 MY Hallandale Florida

Hi all,

Sorry I can't post link. New account, first time poster.

Its on Boat trader.

I've read Pascoe's book on mid sized yachts. What would you guys look for on these to help determine whether or not you would have a surveyor come and take a look?

Thank you,
    Speed, MD

Re: 1983 53 MY Hallandale Florida

You need a surveyor to look at the boat, plus an engine surveyor to look at them and the generator set. There is hardly any such thing as a boat for sale that does not need a survey.

I read the listing. I think the price reflects the strong market for boats in general. Overall appears reasonably clean.

80s Hatteras MYs were very well made, but this boat is 39 years old, with 4600 engine hours. These boats are complex- they have four electrical systems, five AC units, etc etc etc. To me, these would be the most desirable engines, but they are old. You need a thorough hull survey, as well as a thorough engine survey and inspection. I'm curious to see what other forum members say- I would want a compression check on the engines, but other folks more knowledgeable than I may feel it isn't necessary.

I d star my by a thorough inspection looking for obvious issues like soft decks, messy butchered wiring etc.

Then you make an offer subject to sea trial BEFORE hull and mechanical surveys. This way you don’t waste money on surveys if the boat has issues. The pre survey sea trial can be quick, but you want the boat ti run at cruise for a few minutes to make sure there no vibrations, not overheating etc. also to make sure the generator runs the loads, the air con works etc. then a few days later you get the surveyors to do their things.

I ve seen too many people doing surveys only to find out the boat can’t reach cruise speed or has a massive vibration

If this is your first “big” boat you may want to hire a captain for the day to pre inspect the boat and come on the pre survey sea trial
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree with Pascal. If the engines won't turn up to rated revs, that tells you plenty right there.

Is it the cream one with red accent stripes? That looks like a very nice boat

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

to Mr Rosenthal's points: Can you share on why the 8V71 is the more preferred engine?

Broker says it needs a bottom job, cutless bearings, hull and bottom painted too and engines serviced. States owners have a binder with 30 years of records for review.

Fully intend on asking for sea trial prior making any offer that would be contingent on survey of both hull and engines.

What do you guys think the market is looking like for DD turbo rebuilds, bottom paint/job/shafts/bearings/props?

Right now I'm having a hard time justifying that ask price. For comparison theres a newer model 1993 in Naples florida for similar money.

Thank you to everyone.

speed..

You won’t get a sea trial without a signed contract. But the contract being subject to acceptance after sea trial you have nothing to loose. If the boat doesn’t perform to your expectations, you can back off. Same after survey… if there are too many issue and you can’t come to an agreement with the seller either on repairs or a price adjustment you can back up out

I strongly suggest you use a buyers broker since you don’t seem to know about the process.

Which model is the 1993? Production of the 53 ended in the 80s
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You won’t get a sea trial without a signed contract. But the contract being subject to acceptance after sea trial you have nothing to loose. If the boat doesn’t perform to your expectations, you can back off. Same after survey… if there are too many issue and you can’t come to an agreement with the seller either on repairs or a price adjustment you can back up out

I strongly suggest you use a buyers broker since you don’t seem to know about the process.

Which model is the 1993? Production of the 53 ended in the 80s
    hey Pascal,

Thanks for the feedback. The 1993 is in Naples, FL. Its on Boattrader, I cant post links yet.

J

Completely different animal. No aft deck, just a tiny balcony… stairs up and down everywhere vs flush deck.

Now a big fans of these later DDEC 92s either. Much more complex.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat