Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Re: 1983 53 MY Hallandale Florida

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpeed View Post
    to Mr Rosenthal's points: Can you share on why the 8V71 is the more preferred engine?

Right now I'm having a hard time justifying that ask price. For comparison theres a newer model 1993 in Naples florida for similar money.
    May I inject my thoughts on this;
    Just by design, the 71s are more forgiving than the 92s.
    Dry cylinder liners vs wet would be my first example. When a 92 over heats, you will learn more the hard way on this.

92s seem to be more of a performance engine, IMO, some seem to slobber more at lower RPMs.
    71s just seem to operate better at lower RPMs.
    With the cost of fuel, increasing in price daily, most folk do operate at real low speeds.

Try to stay away from engines with TA in the model number. TI or N keeps things much simpler, more reliable and less expensive to maintain. Easier for the DIYr to work on.

DDEC engines push the engine tune a little more. For the performance enthusiast, it may help some. May also help in keeping some slobber down.
    IMO, the extra cost and complexity are counter reliable vs what they offer.
    Think of it as an electronic device a hammer can not fix when you are far from your dock.
    DDEC requires lots of electric juice. Some boats have their own battery banks for the ECUs.
    A mechanical Detroit does not need electricity to run. Just to start.

The boat in Naples is a later design, I refer to those models as a Jungle Gym. Constant steeps to every area of the boat. Lots smaller engine room. If you are young and nimble, maybe not an issue today.

If you look at that 53 in Palm Beach Gardens with those strung out Cat3208s. I would take the worst DDC over these Cats.

Engine room size may become an issue for in frame engine rebuilding. Consider this when comparing boat lay-outs.

One last comment about purchasing large boats. Don't wait to the last minute to shop for boat insurance.
    Cost of ownership should be considered also. Beyond dockage and fuel; There is insurance.
    Ask a real marine insurance agent to work with you during your boat shopping.
    Keep a portable defibrillator handy when getting insurance estimates.

Good luck
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-07-2022 at 04:00 PM.