Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Maretron vs navico N2K backbone

Good morning. I’m in the beginning stages of replacing my Simrad AP22-based auto pilot system with a new Simrad NAC3 AP 44 system. My question is whether in creating the backbone of the N2K system would it be worth it to spend the extra coin on Maretron backbone components. The Navico components that are included with the simrad instruments seem relatively light duty and for individual drops seem fine, but the backbone is not something that I want to be modifying once it’s designed and in place. I am using the maretron design software and will design for future expansion with the addition of several multi port connectors but the price difference between maretron and navico components for the backbone is a difference of 4:1 or more. Has anyone had issues with non maretron N2K bus components? Is the Maretron ‘built like a brick sh:thouse’ quality worth spending 4x as much on a given system? I understand the you get what you pay for concept but I don’t need an armored car to protect my personal items when I park and go into the store, the risk is a worthy trade off. Maybe the maretron components are just way over the top like the armored car would be. Anyone have experience with the varied manufacturers and their durability? Btw I’m going to list a few of the old simrad devices such as two AP 22 control heads so if anyone is interested in those just let me know.
    Thank you

Re: Maretron vs navico N2K backbone

Usually the dealer can supply the design and components needed. Did you already purchase the parts?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I put a Maretron system in my boat. I used Garmin N2k components becabuse I had a bunch of them. Also used other brands. They all worked fine. Maretron are better built. One thing to watch out for is; while the wiring is the same in all N2k. The T connectors of different brands done always line up properly when you are trying to bulkhead mount.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Never had a problem with SimNet & Simrad N2K and non-Simrad N2K products on the same SimNet backbone.
    I have a long runs from the bridge to the ER and a Simrad IS20 wind vane way up. Simrad offers heavier gauge SimNet leads for these longer run cables.

On non-Simrad equipment, The N2K to SimNet cables work great.
    Simnet termination works the same and the wind vane already has its own termination for the end of its long lead.

On another boat that is all Garmin N2k, normal N2k Cables put the simrad equipment on its backbone. with no problems.

Calling out for more expensive hardware (back bone) does not necessarily mean anymore performance or error free operations. The OEM standards have work well for us and our customers.

Further, the SimNet cable ends are much smaller and easier to pass thru bulkheads and conduit. I would believe it is the same wire quality.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-25-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks for the replies I built the system from navico components with an anchor drop cable here or there for length reasons. I ended up with five 4-port connectors- lower helm-port engine-starb engine-rear engine room and upper helm, as well as a couple standard tees. surprisingly the simrad AP44/48 system really wants lots of input such as boat speed and gps coordinates to complete the set up or not throw an error message. I also find it interesting that it never shuts off, you can only place it into sleep mode. Anyone else find simrad user manuals difficult to follow? I recall the ap 22 system manual was hard to follow but the ap48 is far beyond that .