Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teak Cockpit Deck Repair Help Needed

I have a teak deck in my cockpit that has a few boards that are loosening up slightly around the edges of the deck hatches. I think I need to remove them, clean the underlying deck (fiberglass I think), glue and clamp them back down tightly, and then caulk the seams. I'm looking for some help going over exactly what I need to do as a DIY project, or maybe I'll just need to get a pro to do it. Does anyone have a contact recommendation in the Morehead City/ Beaufort NC area (or elsewhere) from whom I can get some help?

Re: Teak Cockpit Deck Repair Help Needed

Lots of coverage of this in trawlerforum or MTOA, as lots of membership has teak decked boats.

John McCarley

Thanks, John.

Teak decking systems has the adhesive to fasten the teak down and also the caulk.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

If your deck was installed without screws (glued down only) there's a good chance the teak was glued to a plywood subfloor that was installed over the fiberglass deck.
    I'm assuming the hatches are framed out with teak instead of just cutting the hatch opening out?
    My worry is there's something going on that "loosened" the teak, ect.
    Anyway, would play with 1 piece to see what's up before getting into an out of control project.
    Multitool could be a big help.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks, JMooney -- I've seen and will probably be using their products.

Thanks, Cricket.

My deck was "glued" with epoxy or something else straight onto the fiberglass. I can see the edges of just teak and caulk around the hatches (which were separately done, not by cutting the hatch opening out). As to why a few boards have loosened, I'm thinking it was a combination of time, UV deterioration, water penetration, and me stupidly using something too harsh to clean the teak about a year ago. I do plan to experiment with two fairly short boards in the upper left circle on the attached picture. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1trout View Post
    Thanks, Cricket.

My deck was "glued" with epoxy or something else straight onto the fiberglass. I can see the edges of just teak and caulk around the hatches (which were separately done, not by cutting the hatch opening out). As to why a few boards have loosened, I'm thinking it was a combination of time, UV deterioration, water penetration, and me stupidly using something too harsh to clean the teak about a year ago. I do plan to experiment with two fairly short boards in the upper left circle on the attached picture. Thanks again.
    Because framing was not used, you could try to add framing around the edges as an easier fix. If just the board ends are in bad shape, this allows the removal of the lose and soft wood while leaving the rest.

I did a repair like this to a small downeast style boat I had. Cutting out the old was the worst. Glueing and screwing in the new stuff and putting that black caulk in there was a mess but pretty easy. It looked great after sanding it down.

Like this:
    cockpit hatch frames.jpg
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

JuiceClark

That cockpit looks beautiful. How do you maintain teak to look like that?

thanks
    Joe