Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Startup of my new engines and WOT take off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mtraBA2qA

Ok, ok not my engines but I can dream can't I?

https://goteborg2023.com/uploads/202...Ystad_stor.jpg
    Imagine pulling up to a Marina with this.....

Re: Startup of my new engines and WOT take off

Coast guard would think twice before safety inspecting that thing

I think that Hatteras actually one boat with turbines ,way back in the 1960's .

News to me. Know anything else about it?

I think this may be a reference to the Navy prototype Vietnam river patrol boat which was water jet driven but not turbine powered.

See page 128 of Hargraves book for more info.

DAN

I thought I had seen an ad in one of the boating magazines back in the 1960’s . Reminded me of the Chrysler car that was turbine powered. Chrysler built a few of these cars and loaned then to people around the US . it was pretty cool but never produced. Turbines were the rage back then .

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    I thought I had seen an ad in one of the boating magazines back in the 1960’s . Reminded me of the Chrysler car that was turbine powered. Chrysler built a few of these cars and loaned then to people around the US . it was pretty cool but never produced. Turbines were the rage back then .
    I'm a Chris-Craft history nut, having restored 4 of them. I know the one you're talking about and it was a Chris-Craft with two reduction-geared turbines in it. You can be forgiven for thinking it was a Hatteras, the Roamers at first glance look a lot like the Hatteras tri-cabins.

The turbine engines were optional power for a year or two in the early 70's but they were so expensive, plus the obvious problem of where do you get it serviced, that nobody ordered them. They eventually killed the program and repowered the factory demo unit with Detroits and sold it off.

If you believe the factory hype from back in the day, they were more fuel efficient, faster, and quieter than diesels.

New Turbine Chris‐Craft a Purring Tiger - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Cool ! I was also going to guess UNIFLITE !