Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riviera Dunes Palmetto FL boat slips

As posted in another thread we purchased a slip at this facility. The reason I got interested in this was started by reading a thread about a marina up north kicking all old boats out regardless of condition and only allow newer boats. So from both posts on this thread and some research online I figured out this is the beginning of something.

We are lucky enough to live on the water in FL with the dock in the back yard. Got in way back when. Business is doing well and even with todays crazy prices no reason to cash out now. Now I know some on the water will stay there until pushing up daisy's. But for me I am thinking the 10 year plan just in case I want to downsize and use the equity to well, have fun. So the slip is an insurance policy that I'll always own my own spot plus it is a fantastic protected hurricane hole.

Anyway all that said and now that we have secured our future (closing was 5/31) I would like to share some info about slips here and a few other places I learned about. Maybe some members here would be interested in purchasing as well. We paid 245K for a 70' slip. They allow the boat to be (strictly) 10% larger than the slip size. Regardless of slip size all slips pay the same quarterly HOA fee which is $930. The marina will rent your slip for you when not being used for 7%. Very reasonable. But no restrictions on you renting it yourself.

Yes they inspect boats here to be "allowed" to stay. But really just no crappie POS boats allowed. Already told my son he needs to paint the 34 before he can use the slip. It's a really nice place and any cared fore Hatteras would pass muster. And power boat only. No sail boats . So nice and quiet on a windy day.

Prices are about $3500 per foot to purchase. But just to the south of here where other slips are available in Longboat Key Moorings (nice place) they are now at $12,000 a foot plus you get to pay $65K to join the club just to be able to use the pool. I do think these prices there are more wishful thinking. Another place in Clearwater to the north has smaller slips with only a few uncovered that have prices from reasonable (but way too small for us) to $1,192,000 for a 45' slip.

Currently there is one slip available that is 60' for $210,000. Based on recent activity I would think more will be popping up. Anyone interested post here or PM. I will help out any way I can. They said the end of waterfront came years ago. Which it kind of did. But who would have thought marinas would get picky about what boats they leased to. And with expected lease rate jumps it actually makes financial sense IMO.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Riviera Dunes Palmetto FL boat slips

Thanks for the update and useful info. Riviera Dunes is a nice marina and I envy your having gained control of your slip arrangement and price.

I would love to find a similar arrangement in Charlotte Harbor, Keys, or Bahamas as a second homeport and cruising destination.

What is the rental strategy at Riviera Dunes? Do you lease it annually, seasonally, or to transients in order to get the best use/return?

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Thanks for the update and useful info. Riviera Dunes is a nice marina and I envy your having gained control of your slip arrangement and price.

I would love to find a similar arrangement in Charlotte Harbor, Keys, or Bahamas as a second homeport and cruising destination.

What is the rental strategy at Riviera Dunes? Do you lease it annually, seasonally, or to transients in order to get the best use/return?

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa
    As for the rental strategy I limit myself a bit wanting the 3 worst months of hurricane season to use myself. Slip is available monthly or transient, whatever works out. Present tenant is interested in working with me for the 3 months I want. Of course it helps out I honored his present arrangement and did not kick him out even though there is a sixty days notice to vacate in these situations.

Also in my slip search I did see a number of slips available in the Key's at reasonable rates. But what not what we wanted. Search this if that is what is desired.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks for the update, we are definitely looking in that area as well. We plan to come down that way to winter in about another 5 years.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Seems a strange situation where slips cost more than the average Hatteras
    Are Hatteri too cheap os slips too expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    Seems a strange situation where slips cost more than the average Hatteras
    Are Hatteri too cheap os slips too expensive?
    Over the past 10-15 years this trend of demolishing marinas in order to build condos has exploded in Florida. It's happening constantly now. I think Madhatter's observation is spot on. Basically there's been a delay in the market catching up with this trend, but the chickens are really starting to come home to roost, both in terms of the price of dockage and in terms of that many people are starting to sit on wait lists for years and are lucky to get a slip at any price. This is also starting to show in the prices of deeded slips, 5 years ago a 50 or 60 foot slip was $100k. Demand for deeded slips is picking up because slip rentals are drying up. Interesting times we're about to live/boat in.

As to marinas refusing older boats, that's a rule on the books at a lot of marinas already, but what it really means is they don't want a rundown turd making the place look bad. I don't think anybody would have a problem with any of our boats, judging by most of the HOF members' photos.

This search all started from reading a thread on the Hull truth about a marina I think in Massachusetts kicking out all boats over 10 years old or so regardless of condition. They want all fancy new boats at the marina. I went down the internet rabbit hole and found some more of this here and there. So a $hit storm is brewing.

Places like Riviera Dunes just want nice boats and no POS’s. Many boats there are far from perfect but they are clean and well cared for.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

it seems like a tight track into the Dunes form the Manatee Marker #2? I assume you have your path/track down. Can you go in and out 24/7 with various tides or ?
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 06-08-2022 at 08:06 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    it seems light a tight track into the Dunes form the Manatee Marker #2? I assume you have your path/track down. Can you go in and out 24/7 with various tides or ?
    From marker 24A you head east for a bit more and then make a hard 90 when you can line up with entrance to basin. There is another new set of markers just to the right that are not shown on the chart so a bit deceiving.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Don’t you guys feel to bad, you could be in Newport Beach Ca. Where slips are now going for $75.00 per foot per month to rent. It is causing boats to try to relocate to San Diego, where the demand for slips far out weighs the supply.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.