Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1983 55' Convertible Jacksonville, FL Craigslist

Does anyone have any background on the 1983 55 C advertised on CL in Jacksonville--"Black Marlin"

Current owners apparently bought it about 18 months ago, put it on the hard with the intent to fix it up but life plans have changed. So its been sitting on the hard for awhile.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any additional background on this yacht?

Thanks..

Re: 1983 55' Convertible Jacksonville, FL Craigslist

Yes thanks for connecting the dots. That is the one I was referring to.

Thought someone might have known her from a previous owner and/or forum member.

Found an older for sale website that indicated the interior was remodeled in 1995 and the boat was repainted in 2005.

Sum of the parts. Make a decision and move forward or not. Many boats out there like this. Figure out pluses and minuses and go from there. And seriously what seems like a bad deal can be good, and of course the other way around.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Looks good - very similar condition to my 52 when purchased. Funny how a couple weekends spent washing her, oiling the wood and wiping everything down would change the pictures...all the stuff which doesn't matter as much as the rest.
    If it has good service records, you have a better gauge on the Detroits and the genny.

I wonder if changing out the head pumps on a 55 sucks as badly as it did on my 52? I'd paint the entire bilge with a brush before I'd replace all the head pumps and hoses again through that small access in the bow.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

The early 55c with the 650hp were pretty much underpowered dog’s wasn’t until the TA 840hp came out in 88 that they really got up and ran. 875hpTIC? Could be some conversion. I’ve seen some with the stepped up blower gearing. You can compress the air with turbos and increase the density with inter or aftercoolers but there is only so much air you can get through the supercharger’s without speeding them up. An when you do the seals don’t last leading to oil spraying into the air box and risking a run away. A charter captain friend had a pair of Blivins? Modified 12/s that grenaded. I’d stay away from aftermarket modified engines especially since most of these guy are out of business dead or moved on.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

TIC may just mean the author who typed it, did not have a clue.

The factory DDC 12V71TA was 870 SHP, 900 HP at the flywheel.
    Also with bypass blowers.

There was a later commercial model at 775 SHP, 800 HP at the flywheel.
    Just smaller injectors and offered a lil longer life.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-04-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    TIC may just mean the author who typed it, did not have a clue.
    I agree with Ralph. I suspect the lister was trying to say "turbo inner cooler" whereas Detroit parlance is "turbo aftercooler" for that feature.

Essentially someone upgraded the engines to TAs.

DAN

I'm an electronics guy but keep information

codes Description
    L Low profile
    V V-block
    N Needle Unit Injectors, four exhaust valves (per cylinder)
    T Turbocharged
    TA Turbocharged Aftercooled (JWAC Jacket Water Aftercooled )
    TAC Turbocharged Aftercooled California Certification (JWAC Jacket Water Aftercooled )
    TT Tailored Torque (Fuel Squeezer)
    TTA Tailored Torque Aftercooled (Fuel Squeezer Plus) (JWAC Jacket Water Aftercooled )
    TI Turbocharged Intercooled
    TIB Turbocharged Intercooled Bypass Blower
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I was just next door yesterday.
    I should have taken a peek. Sorry I was In a hurry to pick up a Coosa sheet at Marine Supply and did not think about this one.