Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: strut surprise

Re: strut surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    What did the bearings look like when removed, swollen or deformed some way?
    How were they removed, shafts pulled and punched out or pressed out with shaft in place?
    How did the shafts look at bearing area?
    Alignments preformed?

You have my interest up.
    rc
    I had the alignment done a short time ago but it didn't fix the problem. One side was within spec and the other side was out. I did have that done though. This problem came to a head when the mechanics who rebuilt the engines said the shafts are way too hard to turn and they wouldn't warranty the engines unless that was fixed along with a seacock that wasn't opening all the way.

The shafts were taken out of the boat. They also recommended since they were removing them anyway that I reface the couplings and have the shafts polished. It was all rusted together, removing the couplings required a 30 ton hydraulic press. The shafts and couplings are over at Dominey propeller this week getting refaced and polished. If there is too much bearing wear on the shaft I am sure they will tell me, I've been using them for 15 years. They'll speak up if something is too bent/worn/etc. to use. They're not bashful about that.

I wasn't there when they took the bearings off. I should ask how bad they were out of curiosity, that's a good question.

Tell Tyler Ralph & Josie said hello.

Tell Tyler Ralph & Josie said hello.
    I will. I don't know if you heard, Tyler got the 'vid bad, he was out of work for months. He recovered and is back at it now. I sympathize with him, same thing happened to me when I got delta, lost 30 lbs just laying in bed sweating, almost died. Like him I'm back at work, but I wish that weight had stayed off LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I will. I don't know if you heard, Tyler got the 'vid bad, he was out of work for months. He recovered and is back at it now. I sympathize with him, same thing happened to me when I got delta, lost 30 lbs just laying in bed sweating, almost died. Like him I'm back at work, but I wish that weight had stayed off LOL
    BTW, Where is your boat getting this service.
    I'll be at Huckins next week.

BTW, Where is your boat getting this service.
    I'll be at Huckins next week.
    Sadler Point

Hatteras 3.jpg

Sadler Point
    Is Chip still there?
    He is a walking land mark.

Understood Sadler Point marina and Ortega Club Marina was purchased by Windward Group.
    Any change in business?

Is Chip still there?
    He is a walking land mark.

Understood Sadler Point marina and Ortega Club Marina was purchased by Windward Group.
    Any change in business?
    Ortega was, Sadler was not. They've approached Brooks but so far as I know all they've done is talk, it hasn't been sold yet. Chip is still there, and still has his old wooden Dunphy inboard boat called Barnacle Bill.

Ortega was, Sadler was not. They've approached Brooks but so far as I know all they've done is talk, it hasn't been sold yet. Chip is still there, and still has his old wooden Dunphy inboard boat called Barnacle Bill.
    Sadler has been sold. Brooks was dragging his feet to let anybody know.

Sadler has been sold. Brooks was dragging his feet to let anybody know.
    Spoke to him about it last week, says deal isn’t final and they’re still negotiating. The company wants to buy it, but he only wants to sell a portion and remain an owner just with a partner. If he doesn’t get that concession then he won’t sell. Not saying it won’t eventually happen, just hasn’t quite yet. I do believe he will eventually sell, that job is all consuming for him and his wife and he wants to spend more time with the kids. If it’s not this deal it’ll probably be another one.