Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Winterizing questions

Being from Southern Ca. I have never winterized a boat, but we are going to leave our Nordic Tug in the Chesapeake this winter. The yard d will do the engine and water system but my question is is it worth having the boat shrink wrapped? If I do then how do I maintain the batteries? We have a good solar system that I usually leave on when we leave the boat. The other question is if we do not shrink wrap should I leave the mesh ( texteline) window covers on on the outside. Thanks from a clueless So Cal boy
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Winterizing questions

Where are you leaving the boat in Chesapeake?

If at Atlantic Yacht Basin (AYB), they have covered slips.

Regardless, I just spent the winter at AYB and I did not elect to shrink wrap my boat. In full disclosure, I was in a covered slip from late January to now. This is coming from someone that spent 20+ years in New England and shrink wrapped every season.

IMO, there is normally not enough significant snowfall in the Chesapeake area to warrant shrink wrapping since there is limited exposure to the "freeze/thaw" cycle that normally does the most damage.

I would remove the window covers. They are not going to do you much good for the winter and higher probability of causing damage that doing any good.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Thanks JD, not positive where we are leaving the boat , but probably on the hard in Urbana
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Hatts are painted...... the risk of blisters under wet plastic for months is real. Aside from that, I am not sure it helps any.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If I'm right, Nordic tugs are gelcoated. So you can shrink-wrap the boat with minimal fear of blistering, although making sure that the people who wrap it keep the wrap off the exterior surfaces as much as possible.

As far as what to do for the batteries, the best thing for them is to have them either on a smart charger through the winter, or periodically plugged in to bring them up. Modern smart chargers are very good at keeping batteries topped up without overcharging them. This depends on whether the yard will let you leave the boat plugged in. Some will, some won't.

As far as the Textilene window covers, I would clean them, roll them up, and put them inside the boat. And I would try to get the boat wrapped if possible. Saving wear and tear on the exterior is a good thing.

Covered slips on the Chesapeake are becoming a rare thing. But if you can find one, you don't have to shrinkwrap the boat, and you can leave her plugged in to keep the batteries charged. You can probably find a winter storage covered slip at Piney Narrows in Kent Island, or at AYB as mentioned- AYB isn't cheap but they are very well known and do a good job with the boats in their care.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Covered slips on the Chesapeake are becoming a rare thing. But if you can find one, you don't have to shrinkwrap the boat, and you can leave her plugged in to keep the batteries charged. You can probably find a winter storage covered slip at Piney Narrows in Kent Island, or at AYB as mentioned- AYB isn't cheap but they are very well known and do a good job with the boats in their care.
    When my boat was wintered on the Chesapeake, it was in a covered slip at Fairview Marina.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA