Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Window Removal

Window Removal

I am replacing the original windows on my 1979 53’ Sportfish with new ones made by Waterway Systems in Sarasota, FL. With the inside trim removed, I can see the cutout in the boat, the frame and the the butyl rubber that squished out used for sealing between the frame and side of boat. Does anyone have a recommendation for removing the entire window? I am think of using a heat gun to soften the butyl rubber and push out the window from the inside as the butyl rubber softens. Thanks!

Re: Window Removal

I just removed my galley windows. Get some plastic pry bars and lots of shims from Harbor freight or similar. Tape all the way around the window with a couple layers to keep from scratching the surface. Then tap a wedge in any gap you can find to start. Once you get a wide enough gap put a shim in then keep working your way around the window widening the gap. You’ll get to the point where the window will just release and come out with ease.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Thank you. Did you work from the inside of the boat?

Get a set of the suction cups that have handles on them and are designed for window removal. It’s a 2 person job if you don’t want to break them
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

No, from the outside and I agree with the suction cups but not from Harbor Freight they are worthless.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

These work well... have used my pair for years for lots of things...

Medium-Duty Handle – SeaSucker

Heavy-Duty Handle – SeaSucker

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

When we removed the frames on our 50c we had to use a bottle jack and a piece of wood to lift the opening as it had sagged a little not allowing the frame to come out. We ended up placing a post in the middle for extra support.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I just removed my galley windows. Get some plastic pry bars and lots of shims from Harbor freight or similar. Tape all the way around the window with a couple layers to keep from scratching the surface. Then tap a wedge in any gap you can find to start. Once you get a wide enough gap put a shim in then keep working your way around the window widening the gap. You’ll get to the point where the window will just release and come out with ease.
    This is almost exactly how I removed my portside galley window and it was a recommendation in another similar thread. The issue I have with my starboard window is that it was epoxied in, or 5200 was over-applied inside the frame so this method had very lmited success on my last attempt. It wasn't until I was reading this that I remembered I bought plastic door shims/wedges from Lowes, and started with one wedge at 12 inch intervals, working around the frame. I then went back with a second wedge behind the first one to slowly enlarge the opening, then a third. I actually cut the ends off the 3rd and 4th ones to take advantage of the thicker part of the wedges. I went slowly and carefully, and actually took 2-3 days to get the window out working in the morning when it was cooler.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Thank you all for the advice.

On this page, to the left in the tan bar is a section called Tips & Tricks.

I suggest you review the window replacement article to get an overview of how they were installed at the factory.

This may help with the removal process...

DAN