Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wet floor in aft cabin?

We are getting moisture on the floor around the master stateroom around the queen bed on the starboard side.

Does anyone have any ideas were this could be coming from?

Many thanks!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Wet floor in aft cabin?

pretty much every leak i ve had has come from clogged air handler condensation drains. Unless you ve add a ton of rain start there. It could be either the master air handler or the aft salon. Not familiar with the later 53 layout…
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

There's like a 90% chance it's coming from the water tank fill hose, they just used regular nonreinforced plastic line and it cracks with age. Very common problem, first thing I had to fix on my boat when I got it. I don't think it's complicated to fix, I was in a trial that week and had the marina do it and it was like $600, so it must have been pretty simple.

My 77 runs its bilge pumps to the port.
    But if your runs in the direction of your wet carpet, a leaking, split or cut bilge hose is easy to check out. I had a cut in my shower pump, took a while to find that one! (Given we use that show as a cleaning closet).
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

start in the closet with the condensation tray. #2 would be to go into the bilge under the bed and suck out the hoses from the ac line, and shower sump. High chance its one of those.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

It could also be from a rudder stuffing box

Have you checked your exhaust system? Last year when Katerina's exhaust hoses collapsed there was water in the master closet and also near the rudder area. New exhaust hoses ended that problem.
    Good luck
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

Check on all the possibilities from running the boat as suggested. From your posts this is a new problem and you just ran the boat a ways with Randy to get home so these are at least the more likely issues. Exhaust leak possible and a neglected stuffing on a rudder can definitely spray water up and all over. Notice any bilge pumps running during the trip? If you don’t I bet Randy would remember them running (or not).
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

o.k. starting to dig into this.

I pulled the mattress to start taking a look around.

I found the big tank under the bed. I am assuming this is a fresh water tank based on the white hose leading up toward the fresh water filling port.

The gauge on it is reading over full. I would like to investigate the assumption that this should not be happening and perhaps connecting to the dock water line intake is over filling this somehow.

So I would like to try to drain this tank and see what happens when I turn the dock water connection on to see if it is filling the tank.

So my first question is: Do any of the outside fresh water hose connections pump our fresh water from this tank, or do they refer to fresh sea water? I'm going to go put a hose on and see what happens but thought I would put my trouble shooting idea here for comment.

Thank you!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Different boat, etc, but my freshwater tank has a solid copper vent line and if you overfill through the deck fitting it just starts running out the vent.

Not pressurized in that scenario, but, check for a the vent maybe there is some issue there if it is overfull and leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    o.k. starting to dig into this.

I pulled the mattress to start taking a look around.

I found the big tank under the bed. I am assuming this is a fresh water tank based on the white hose leading up toward the fresh water filling port.

The gauge on it is reading over full. I would like to investigate the assumption that this should not be happening and perhaps connecting to the dock water line intake is over filling this somehow.

So I would like to try to drain this tank and see what happens when I turn the dock water connection on to see if it is filling the tank.

So my first question is: Do any of the outside fresh water hose connections pump our fresh water from this tank, or do they refer to fresh sea water? I'm going to go put a hose on and see what happens but thought I would put my trouble shooting idea here for comment.

Thank you!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA