Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running gen

Running gen

I have a 1973 sport fish.i was told by the previous owner that I always had to run the gen when im cruising. Can someone tell me why or if this is needed? I have32volt Alternators and the charge batteries. There is a ac/dc charger in my flybrigde that charges the12v battery that powers the radio and navigation system.

Re: Running gen

Probably because of the fridge, freezer and ice maker. Plus of course air conditioning.

If you want to avoid running the gen you ll need an inverter to power the fridge, freezer and ice maker.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Our Bertram is still mostly 32V.
    I hate running the gen set when it is just the two of us on a long runs.
    We went to an inverter for the full size fridge, ice maker, important 115Vac outlets for computers, TVs, stuff and coffee maker.
    Sadly, not many 32Vdc inverters left out there. What is left in the market is expensive.

Went thru a bunch of designs and ended up adding a second alternator (24Vdc) to our port main engine and a tall 24V battery bank.
    On nice nights on the hook, still do not run the gen-set.
    After some upgrades and learning curve we can near do 10 to 12 hours running everything now, just on inverter.

When we drift fish, boat is quiet.

Where in FL are you hiding?

Your profile says you’re from Florida so I would think it’s strictly for the air conditioning during the summer. If you have an inverter that should run the Refrigerator and minor appliances and lights.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Inverters aren't just for minimal power any more.

I have installed all kinds of full vessel systems that allow the owners to run air conditioning over night without running a generator. Design for the needs you have not other people's. There's a few members here with systems I provided to meet their needs and desires. If you have an idea of what you want with an inverter send me a pm or email Boatsb@cfl.rr.com
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The only reason to run the generator set while you're cruising is if you want those appliances operating- the AC, the refrigerator/freezer, hot water heater, TVs, outlets etc.

You can easily run everything other than the AC with an inverter as Ralph describes. You can also install a hot water heater with a loop from one of the engines' cooling system which will give you plenty of very hot water.

It's a matter of choice. You don't need to run the genset to keep anything charged up.

Thanks guys.. im sure it probably has a inverter. Where would it be located?

Quote Originally Posted by Coker61 View Post
    Inverters were not factory installed.
    If you have one, it could have been installed any where by a previous owner.

An inverter needs DCv cables from a battery bank and would have ACv cables out/in the ships ACv breaker panel enclosure.
    You could try to find & follow after factory battery cables (Hopefully from a dedicated after factory battery bank).

Quote Originally Posted by Coker61 View Post
    Want to know if it has an inverter?

Don’t run the generator and see if your refrigerator light comes on, assuming it has one. Given what you were told, I’m sure it doesn’t. One thing you need to do is load the generator on a regular basis when you’re running it. Turn on the hot water and run the AC, even when you need neither.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Our Bertram is still mostly 32V. I hate running the gen set when it is just the two of us on a long runs. We went to an inverter for the full size fridge, ice maker, important 115Vac outlets for computers, TVs, stuff and coffee maker.Sadly, not many 32Vdc inverters left out there. What is left in the market is expensive.Went thru a bunch of designs and ended up adding a second alternator (24Vdc) to our port main engine and a tall 24V battery bank. On nice nights on the hook, still do not run the gen-set.After some upgrades and learning curve we can near do 10 to 12 hours running everything now, just on inverter. When we drift fish, boat is quiet.Where in FL are you hiding?
    I'm in Treasure Island