Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it time?

Is it time?

I'll be turning 88 next Feb. Was wondering if there are any other ANCIENTS out there. I started big boating in 1990
    with a 45 foot Jefferson. Had her for 10years plus. thought I would
    like a different boat before I expired. Sold her and got a 53 hatt. Only had for 2 years when the marina roof collapsed and she went down that winter on the Ohio River.
    r.

I was 70 at the time - had to decide if I wanted to keep going boating or hang it up. I ended up getting a 58 foot hatt. M.Y. Thought I would keep her till I was 75 then hang it up.Now 18 years (87) I still have my girl.

Still love to do all the things to keep her in top shape.. Wash her down fix little things etc.. Have my wine on the back deck. Usually put 20 30 hours a year on he her.

Question: Anyone out there close to my age (87) that still hanging on to their mistress?

I'm still in good health - a little slower @ everything. Thinking of going boatless this fall or next year.

Love to hear back from any Ancients out there. Russ

Re: Is it time?

Well, I am only 44, however, we bought our Hatteras from a the estate of a gentleman who was 93 and still boating.

He died in November and the family scrambled a little bit to get it winterized that year, since of course he was the one that would have made all of those arrangements, etc.

We bought the boat that same winter and it never missed a season!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I'm 78 and find I need the help of my wife, 77, to efficiently run the boat. If anything happens to her I suppose I will have to replace her with at least two gals of 38.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Same with sex. Do it until either you can’t or you don’t want to.

I know a guy who is 88 who still drives a dump truck hauling gravel. He says he still loves it, and it keeps him going. I’ll be 65 in a few months and still move 3,000 pound safes by myself. No doubt there will come a time that I won’t be physically able to do that. I can’t see giving up boating, even if I…

What were we talking about again?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I have a friend that just stopped boating at 96. He hated giving it up but it was to hard getting around by himself. He still has the boat but it will soon be for sale. Congratulations for hanging in there, I hope I can boat at your age.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    I'm 78 and find I need the help of my wife, 77, to efficiently run the boat. If anything happens to her I suppose I will have to replace her with at least two gals of 38.
    Are you wired for 380 ??!!!

Float her down to Sw Florida and you might be the youngest guy in the marina!
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post

now thats funny.....
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

If you stop using the boat and stop maintaining her, then it's time to go. When they haven't been used in 5 years and haven't been maintained in 10, the sale is almost impossible. It's not easy to know when to pull the ripcord, but don't wait until it's too late. I'm 65 and from here I feel like I can almost see to the end of my boating. When the time comes, I plan to toss the keys to someone who promises to take care of her like I have.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    So true...