Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Window replacement on an old Hatt

I have a couple of the sliding windows on my 1969 TCMY that have several cracks and would like to replace them. I thought I read in a post a long time ago that you can get them out by expanding the frame with a small jack but for the life of me I can't figure out how that's possible. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Re: Window replacement on an old Hatt

The windows are supposed to be able to lift up into the track far enough to swing the bottom outward and remove. But most of the time the roof has sagged and needs to be lifted. Usually just an 1/8 inch or so. Easy to do with a jack and a couple of pieces of 2X4
    Capt. Rob

The windows are supposed to be able to lift up into the track far enough to swing the bottom outward and remove. But most of the time the roof has sagged and needs to be lifted. Usually just an 1/8 inch or so. Easy to do with a jack and a couple of pieces of 2X4
    Capt. Rob

I jacked the window frames open on my 41 TC to get the glass out for a refrigerator replacment. NEVER AGAIN! It was harrowing. I have a cracked window or 2 (unrelated to the refrig install) which I plan NOT to replace. If I were going to, I would have the glass folks make a tamplate to the frames sizing as exisiting and cut the new glass accordingly.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Make sure to remove the vertical bar at the edge of the window as this will prevent you from lifting it up and out at the bottom.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Just saw this, don't know if it is too late to comment.
    I used this custom made lead screw pole jack to remove my cracked windows.
    It has tabs on the ends that slip into the slider track and hold the pole in while jacking.
    Because it uses an ACME lead screw it is very easy to control the lifting force unlike a hydraulic jack.
    You can use a small hydraulic pole jack but it is cumbersome to stabilize it on the ledge.
    I only had to jack mine about 1/4" and the window lifted right out.
    The bigger problem I found was finding true 1/4" thick tinted laminated glass. It seems that 1/4" laminated glass is slightly thicker now (enough to matter in the sliding tracks.
    They call it 1/4" but it was thicker (maybe really metric)?

window_jack1.jpgwindow_jack2.jpg
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

I jacked all 4 of mine with no issues.

1) remove stop block so you can slide the glass to the center of the frame.
    2) remove the end vertical aluminum "pull" from the end of the glass panel.
    3) Lift up on the glass and tilt the bottom out.
    4) If it needs more clearance for removal, jack up the frame with a bottle jack and some wood.

When I had the new glass cut, I had it cut just a little shorter so it would go in and out without the jacking of the frame.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI