Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1987 Hatteras 53 Motoryacht53ft US$175,000 Florence, Alabama

Don'tforget yhis boat has to be moved

I hear you. Thanks for all of the input I have gotten. I found another 53 in listed in boat trader reduced to 129K the pics show a beautiful interior. Don't say when pics were taken, but appreciate any input.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I hear you. Thanks for all of the input I have gotten. I found another 53 in listed in boat trader reduced to 129K the pics show a beautiful interior. Don't say when pics were taken, but appreciate any input.
    Thanks
    You need to post links for people to look for these boats if you want input, imo.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Sorry , Hope this is correct. Hatteras 1985 53 " ED stablilized MY
    the Link is https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...lized-8217161/
    Much appreciated.

Much appreciated.
    As long as you're getting the "in between the lines" message that broker is trying to convey in that listing, which is: "my client wants me to sugarcoat this as much as possible but the engines are trashed and due for overhauls" then you're fine. If you are going into it thinking something other than you're rebuilding the engines the minute you buy it, you are likely to be disappointed. Before somebody lists a boat for $100k under market like that, they've already had the mechanic (probably plural) out there and received bad news.

I would go with the first one you found over this one. For comparison's sake I just had to do overhauls on the engines in my 53'. It cost $70k and took 2 months, which is fast for that job. My boat looks like a bomb went off inside, the engines are now ironically the cleanest thing in the interior. If you have visions of using it this summer I would avoid this second one.

Thanks for your input. I found that it was discussed here in 2010 and pics look similar. I understand that engines left unused are a problem. Guess I am growing inpatient after looking for the past year.
    Thanks
    Felix

Thanks for your input. I found that it was discussed here in 2010 and pics look similar. I understand that engines left unused are a problem. Guess I am growing inpatient after looking for the past year.
    Thanks
    Felix
    If a broker has to explain right in the listing that they have a "little smoke" and is talking about cracked hoses and that it needs service, the reality is probably worse. That's a $250k boat in good shape, the owner and broker already know something is wrong with it to be asking $129k for a stabilized extended deckhouse. Between the two boats that you've posted, I think the first one might be a good candidate. I think the second one is guaranteed to be wasted airfare.

Much appreciated.
    Listing says it has 6v71s. I am not aware they built any 53s with these engines. It does make me wonder about other errors in the listing. Engine brand and model are kind of fundamental stuff for a 'for sale' listing.

I know, in the past listing they said it had Twin Detroit diesels 6V92 TA engines. You have to be a detective with these listings

I have the same model ED. If you had to undertake rebuild of gen or engines, New Bern is likely a decent spot. The cosmetics look great, and a bit surprised the WD was not replaced during that upgrade with stackables. If you budget $100k and a season for the work, you probably have a great boat. Might be worth asking if an engine survey or estimate of repairs was made. I would rather have a stabilized 53 than not, and that alone is similar in cost to rebuilds. I am biased though.
    You might get lucky with less work.
    That is an original Onan box for the 20k gen, and 6V92s with walker air seps visible in the pictures.
    Last edited by carolinacoast; 05-21-2022 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added comment on eng/gen pics
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750