Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 1987 Hatteras 53 Motoryacht53ft US$175,000 Florence, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    I have the same model ED. If you had to undertake rebuild of gen or engines, New Bern is likely a decent spot. The cosmetics look great, and a bit surprised the WD was not replaced during that upgrade with stackables. If you budget $100k and a season for the work, you probably have a great boat. Might be worth asking if an engine survey or estimate of repairs was made. I would rather have a stabilized 53 than not, and that alone is similar in cost to rebuilds. I am biased though. You might get lucky with less work.That is an original Onan box for the 20k gen, and 6V92s with walker air seps visible in the pictures.
    Same thing in my boat with the washer/dryer. I asked the former owner about that, seemed odd because the rest of the appliances are new. Answer was it works well and they still make all the parts for it so why bother. Hard to argue with the logic. The only thing I wish it did differently is it uses a lot of water compared to the newer ones.

The other thing with the older washer dryers is that they will probably substantially outlast the new ones. Appliances are one product category that has really suffered from the cost engineering that has gone on. Our appliance repair person has told us to keep our 15 year old washer and dryer going for as long as possible as that was the "sweet spot" between efficiency and old school durability.

Some of the upgrades inside are nice, like the lights. But that FB set up is weird unlike you enjoy running knees with your friends!

Sitting for 4 years… yikes. Dirty fuel, cruddy tanks, corrosion in the cylinders… stabs will need to be $erviced

The older WD is the least of the concerns.

If you live up north, great layout but awful down here with that little balcony.
    Last edited by Pascal; 05-23-2022 at 05:29 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Broker finally called back and informed me it is under contract! I'll keep my search unless the contract falls through. Asked broker again about engines or curiosity and he stated that they just needed service. The engines started right up no smoke starboard and little on port.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    sorry meant to say Before I make arrangements to go see it.
    Felix did you go see it?

Never had the opportunity to see it.