Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What size tender? (inflatable)

I don't think many here are very familiar with TakaCat catamaran dinks. They sure seem interesting from what I've seen on videos. Light and fast and stable.
    I worry about how awkward removing the outboard in the water and transferring it to your Hat, between the odd TakaCat transom and the inflated floor and tubes getting whacked by the outboard prop. If you try it, please let us know how it goes...could be really nice. I have a Hydraulic TNT swim platform on the back of mine and currently have a heavy and too long Zodiac Hurricane 420 that sticks out 12 inches--nerve-wracking when docking or locking through.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

I ve seen a few here and there…. Interesting design. Very light obviously. I just don’t like the open transom. What happens when you suddenly slow down and your wake catches you? Foot rinse? I’d be concerned about anything inside getting wet. And no storage whatsoever for anchor, or anything.

Nice compromise on a small boat with no tender storage but I m not sure I’d want one on a Hatt.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hi Dan, the way we plan to store it on the swim platform is with a Hurly / H20 Davit setup.
    It's a couple of arms with rollers that tilt down and let you slide the dinghy up on the platform sideways, then it stays in normal horizontal floating position. These style davits seem to be becoming more popular. I found a web site that sells nothing but dinghy davits called dinghydavits.com that has them, and other versions as well for sale. With this version, I don't believe there is any need to remove the motor. (Hopefully)
    Most of these are made for more traditional inflatables, so the arms are shaped for more of a V hull. So I might just make my own setup to match better to the catamaran style Takacat.
    By the way we bought the LX380 Takacat, which is 12'6" long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I have to wonder about the platform and how the dink will be stored there. Is this a "fold up" kind of storage on the platform?
    I never liked those and had one on a silverton. It was a chore to store and install the outboard and it was only a 5HP.

We towed an AB 13 with a 40HP E-Tec from Ft. Myers behind an '85 43' MY across Okeechobee throough the locks, to the Abacos, Great Exuma and many points in between. If the S.O. can handle the helm so you can pull it in for tight passages etc., no problem. It was a good dink in a bit of chop and we crossed the Sea of Abaco many times in it. Smaller than that? I dunno. Depends on your threshold of pain. I took a buddy from Elbow to Marsh once and when we were back he thanked me for rearranging his organs.

So what is your intened use of the dink and where?

We could have water skied or tubed behind the dink but we were beyond that when we bought it.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

To answer the rest of your question: Intended use and where.... Great lakes, mostly Lake St. Clair.
    Probably mostly to get from deeper anchorage into shallow waters to swim and bring the doggies.
    Also to get into land if we anchor out when future traveling. We are hoping to get to Florida someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I have to wonder about the platform and how the dink will be stored there. Is this a "fold up" kind of storage on the platform?
    I never liked those and had one on a silverton. It was a chore to store and install the outboard and it was only a 5HP.

We towed an AB 13 with a 40HP E-Tec from Ft. Myers behind an '85 43' MY across Okeechobee throough the locks, to the Abacos, Great Exuma and many points in between. If the S.O. can handle the helm so you can pull it in for tight passages etc., no problem. It was a good dink in a bit of chop and we crossed the Sea of Abaco many times in it. Smaller than that? I dunno. Depends on your threshold of pain. I took a buddy from Elbow to Marsh once and when we were back he thanked me for rearranging his organs.

So what is your intened use of the dink and where?

We could have water skied or tubed behind the dink but we were beyond that when we bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by 52CMY View Post
    I don't think many here are very familiar with TakaCat catamaran dinks. They sure seem interesting from what I've seen on videos. Light and fast and stable.
    I worry about how awkward removing the outboard in the water and transferring it to your Hat, between the odd TakaCat transom and the inflated floor and tubes getting whacked by the outboard prop. If you try it, please let us know how it goes...could be really nice. I have a Hydraulic TNT swim platform on the back of mine and currently have a heavy and too long Zodiac Hurricane 420 that sticks out 12 inches--nerve-wracking when docking or locking through.
    I will certainly update and include pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I ve seen a few here and there…. Interesting design. Very light obviously. I just don’t like the open transom. What happens when you suddenly slow down and your wake catches you? Foot rinse? I’d be concerned about anything inside getting wet. And no storage whatsoever for anchor, or anything.

Nice compromise on a small boat with no tender storage but I m not sure I’d want one on a Hatt.
    Yes the open transom was a concern. However I think it is a little deceiving. With the way the floor is raised up to create the catamaran effect, the floor tip at the bow is almost as high up as a regular inflatable. "They" say it's a dry ride. Time will tell. The Admiral had the same concerns. The benefit however is easy on and off in the water from the bow, and with doggies, that will help.
    So it may be a compromise. Or it may be a dry ride and just a benefit with no compromise.
    I guess we will be the guinea pig on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I will certainly update and include pictures!
    Bob, Thanks, that would be very much appreciated info (lifting, towing, ease of use & performance) once you have the gear in hand and in use. Best of luck!
    Cheers,
    Eric

So we got the Takacat and mounted the 4hp motor from the Boston Whaler. Putting it together was easy. I've had it out a few time in up to about 1 foot waves and even tackled some wakes from boats going by. The concern about the open bow I think is not warranted. I never got wet once.
    When stopping I never got water backwashing in. I do get a little spray when on plane from the back end, but not bad.

Now, I have to preface what I am going to say next with the fact that I have never been in a normal dingy or any other dinghy for that mater.....

The only things I didn't like about it were that when you are sitting on the side your legs are kind of cramped up as the floor is only about as high as half way down the tubes. Also it seems to slap a little on waves. But again, I really have no basis of comparison. Other types may be the same way, I don't know!

Bob,
    Is it light and low drag enough with just 4hp to get two adults up on a plane? I'm guessing it might plane with only one person onboard. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    So we got the Takacat and mounted the 4hp motor from the Boston Whaler. Putting it together was easy. I've had it out a few time in up to about 1 foot waves and even tackled some wakes from boats going by. The concern about the open bow I think is not warranted. I never got wet once.
    When stopping I never got water backwashing in. I do get a little spray when on plane from the back end, but not bad.
    Cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 52CMY View Post
    Bob,
    Is it light and low drag enough with just 4hp to get two adults up on a plane? I'm guessing it might plane with only one person onboard. Thanks for the info!
    I was able to get on plane with just me in it, but it takes a good minute to do so.
    I don't know about that with 2 people. I'm guessing not but haven't tried it.

Oh, and my phone gps said I hit 15 MPH on plane.

It is a bit squirrely at speed. I don't know if that is a symptom of all inflatables or not.

I find myself cruising around at about half throttle and that seems to keep in moving pretty good, but not on plane. I think it could use more HP than the 4 hp I have.

I do know some of the reviews mentioned adding some sort of plate to the motor, I don't know what the purpose of that plate is.