Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What size tender? (inflatable)

I'm looking at the Takacat dinghys and they of course have sizes in the 8-12 ft. long range.
    I have no experience with dinghy's like this.

Would any one be able to give me a suggestion as to what size?
    I was thinking the LX340 model that is 11'2" long but that's just a guess as to what would be best.

Any input appreciated!

Edit: we are planning on keeping it on the swim platform for easy/quick access.
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 05-17-2022 at 05:53 PM.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: What size tender? (inflatable)

I have a 11'6 zodiac, fits with no overhang at all.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Standing by for information, I am currently looking for one as well.

12’ or even 13 will fit. 11 is a bit small and cramped.

Having used both hydraulic swim platforms and a Davit on the top deck on a number of boats over the years, there is no difference in ease of launching and retrieving. If anything when raising to the top deck you don’t have to deal with a bucking bronco if the water gets choppy.

I like the peace of mind of having the tender away from waves and following seas. Downside is that adding weight up top means a little more rolling but lifting the tender is very easy
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As from someone who has bought several tenders over the years to get the right one, go as big as you can to fit properly and max on the allowable outboard HP.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Also, I recommend easily removable chocks. This way you can utilize the space when the tender is off the boat.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I have to wonder about the platform and how the dink will be stored there. Is this a "fold up" kind of storage on the platform?
    I never liked those and had one on a silverton. It was a chore to store and install the outboard and it was only a 5HP.

We towed an AB 13 with a 40HP E-Tec from Ft. Myers behind an '85 43' MY across Okeechobee throough the locks, to the Abacos, Great Exuma and many points in between. If the S.O. can handle the helm so you can pull it in for tight passages etc., no problem. It was a good dink in a bit of chop and we crossed the Sea of Abaco many times in it. Smaller than that? I dunno. Depends on your threshold of pain. I took a buddy from Elbow to Marsh once and when we were back he thanked me for rearranging his organs.

So what is your intened use of the dink and where?

We could have water skied or tubed behind the dink but we were beyond that when we bought it.
    Regards
    Dan

I have also towed a a dink a lot. An 11' whaler and then a 13. Getting out of hurricane Irene's way running up the coast of NJ as the whaler came over waves, often hard I wondered why I didn't strengthen the bow eye? If you plan to tow consider it.

If you lose a dink due to a tow eye failure in rough conditions would be a problem.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I had another thought, tube material. My Zodiac is PVC the tube is about to be the third. PVC last about 10 to 12 years. Hypolon, hope I spelled that correct, last much longer.

On my Zodiac YL340 the tube, PVC, can be changed in under an hour. The tube slides into a track. Many others are gluded on. For a glided on tube Hypolon should be a serious consideration.

Hope this helps.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

My boat has an 11’ whaler which is actually pretty roomy, but I think that’s because it’s just an open boat with an outboard. The newer tenders with steering consoles, built in coolers, etc., etc., that stuff really eats up a lot of room in a small space. I think the size you need is dependent on the design you’re looking at to a large extent.