Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Looking for a boat flea market recommendations

Hi all… I am looking for your recommendation for the best marine flea market in FL, and anywhere in the southeast, LA, and TX…Thanks in advance!!!John
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

Re: Looking for a boat flea market recommendations

Dania which was always the best was canceled last 2 years haven’t heard about 23. I went to one in Cape Canaveral last weekend it was ok but depends what your looking for.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

3. Re: Looking for a boat flea market recommendations

Tuesday through Saturday- Marine Liquidators north of Fort Pierce on US1. Huge selection of new old stock everything (especially metal tanks, Bimini tops, hoses), plus some used stuff too. The owner bought out the complete inventories of boat builders that went out of business, and there were a lot of them.
    You gotta go in person, the employees aren’t going to help you on the phone, and other than pointing you in a general direction-not going to help you there. They will though help you load stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Tuesday through Saturday- Marine Liquidators north of Fort Pierce on US1. Huge selection of new old stock everything (especially metal tanks, Bimini tops, hoses), plus some used stuff too. The owner bought out the complete inventories of boat builders that went out of business, and there were a lot of them.
    You gotta go in person, the employees aren’t going to help you on the phone, and other than pointing you in a general direction-not going to help you there. They will though help you load stuff.
    Ronnie has a lot of hard to find stuff but his prices are high and he doesn’t negotiate. Most things aren’t marked and they make it up when you get to the counter. I’ve known him for 35 years and he still won’t give me a break.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

What about Sailorman? I've heard of it but not visited personally.

6. Re: Looking for a boat flea market recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Ronnie has a lot of hard to find stuff but his prices are high and he doesn’t negotiate. Most things aren’t marked and they make it up when you get to the counter. I’ve known him for 35 years and he still won’t give me a break.
    That all takes you out of the drivers seat.
    1. He knows you’re a local, which means he knows he has no competition.
    2. He knows you have money.
    3. He has the “hard to find stuff” so why would he negotiate?

Next time when you find something you need, send in some young guy that looks like he lives in the Indian River Boatyard. In fact have him actually say “I’m restoring a old Marine Trader in the boatyard down the street behind here and my wife and children are helping me”. Then see what happens to the price.

The few times I shopped there, and actually found what I sought, I had great luck in price reductions by simply telling him how beautiful his wife, which she is. Other times I shared hog hunting tips with his young son about shooting hogs literally out their back door. Everyone in the Village loves to shoot the hogs. I heard it through the grapevine that Ronnie and his wife bought a mega mansion up in North Georgia and spend as much time as possible up there. Maybe he turned it over to the kid(s)?

The number one rule when trying to purchase boat stuff (upholstery, appliances, etc.) remote from the boat is to drive a shitbox, and tell them you need ‘whatever’ for your mobile home. It really makes a difference in the prices. Better yet, wear a MAGA hat, and tell them you made your money back in the seventies, and never got caught. That garners you a knowledgeable wink, and you’re in. In Miami carry a colada and the little cups and offer a shot to everyone, and regularly mention how much you hate communists. That makes hard fast friends.

For any of you non southerners trying to do business in the south, buy yourself a MAGA hat then talk as little as possible if harboring a accent. Green Acres was more real than it wasn’t. “Mr. Haneys” are everywhere.

I’m pretty sure I’m not telling you anything new.
    Last edited by Retired1; 04-04-2023 at 04:30 AM.