Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kite Boat Systems

I bought some $6 diesel and am now burning it in the Gulf of Mexico on a slow cruise talking ideas with my crew.

This rig claims to pull a 1980s 46 Bertram at 4.5 knots in 8-15 winds. Plus it looks entertaining. It also looks ugly.

http://www.kite-boat-systems.com/index.php/en/

My crew was spending my money and discussing install so I thought I would post and get more informed opinions.

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Kite Boat Systems

Someone comes up with this idea every time fuel goes up. Without ballast or keel it could capsize a powerboat
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Looks like a lot of hassle and a lot to work just to (assuming you get perfect conditions and wind direction for it to work, it’s pretty much unidirectional since it has no boom) still not go very fast. You have the wrong tool for the job if you want wind power.

A sailboat over 40' is a true vessel with alternate power options. On a per mile basis a friend with 150k keel miles said the cost was similar under sail or yanmar diesel. $6 fuel is only new to us. Crew skill needed changes considerably. An asymmetric spinnaker with a mast and sprit would be more useful than a kiteboard sail on a large vessel..IMHO.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    A sailboat over 40' is a true vessel with alternate power options. On a per mile basis a friend with 150k keel miles said the cost was similar under sail or yanmar diesel. $6 fuel is only new to us. Crew skill needed changes considerably. An asymmetric spinnaker with a mast and sprit would be more useful than a kiteboard sail on a large vessel..IMHO.
    “cost was similar under sail or yanmar diesel”
    Do what? The government may be charging for wind soon but not yet
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have found comic strips more practical than this.
    A wild kit flying around in figure 8s, down wind does not impress me.
    As a cub scout, I flew kites better than that..
    Bah Humbug....

Obviously, wind is free. Converting it to boat speed is not. a kevlar jib from quantum on a 56' swan can cost $30k. the cost of keeping the running rigging maintained equaled the fuel and very little maintenance on that 10k hour yanmar per mile. that boat crossed oceans. the gulf is off limits with a 12' keel.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

If you were using this system would you be able to run you boat through the swimming only area like I see all of the peckerhead kite surfers do here on Lake Erie and Ontario?

Walt Hoover

Everything I like to do involves burning fuel. And that does not look like fun to me.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I like that this and the preceding thread are described as 'normal' threads.

Whatever. I guess this is 'normal' for us.