Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Mobile hot spot device vs cell phone hot spot?

I'm having great results with Starlink. So far no problems and am very happy with the results.

Before Starlink I spent a lot of money and frustration trying to get a Digital Yacht 4Gconnect and WL510 working but that system failed horribly.

Screenshot_20220505-125823.jpgPXL_20220515_141139746.jpg
    Liberty
    1977 53' Hatteras MY

For what it is worth, I am using a 4g Antenna product from Sebastian FL. with very good results for over 2 years now. There is an internal router that has an AT&T/T-mobile SIMM as well as a Verizon Simm card. It "bounces" between companies to get best signal. I pay $79 per month for 50 gigs, but have never gone over or been slowed. Last year I extended my receiving range with two externally mounted AirWave antennas. I do not have internet cameras on the system, but I use it for work, streaming movies, lots of video conference calls. I first installed it when living in Houston TX, and used it the entire way to Merritt Island FL (except from Panama City to Clear Water). someday I hope to be on Mr. Musk's system.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

How sensitive is the alignment with Starlink, does it work while swinging on the hook?

I read that Starlink isn’t allowing mobile usage. They have added roaming in the US but threaten cancelation if used under way.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    How sensitive is the alignment with Starlink, does it work while swinging on the hook?

I read that Starlink isn’t allowing mobile usage. They have added roaming in the US but threaten cancelation if used under way.
    Since the dish is a flat surface it isn't very critical that it is pointed at a certain location like satellite dishes we are used to. The actual area of the sky it can pull signals from is actually a very large area.

Some people are putting them flat on their back and deactivating the tracking motors. Since there are still usually multiple Starlink satellites in the area it can detect from they seem to operate as normal without any signal loss.

I'm a member of a facebook group "Starlink on boats" and even on heeled over sailboats people are having pretty good luck with them.

Swinging at anchor seems to have minimal if any effect.

It does seem that usability is geofenced 12-13 miles offshore for now.

I think that the threat of cancellation while underway is due to the fear of dumb people putting them up on their RV and driving down the road at 70 mph until they hit an overpass . This is where some people are mounting them flat on their back on the RV roof and they seem to get internet while driving down the road.
    Liberty
    1977 53' Hatteras MY

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore1200 View Post
    I’m using a t-mobile Home 5G set up. It’s very very fast and have been able to connect 3 TVs a camera system and still work phones and laptops without any problem.
    We just went to the T-mobile 5G option and it works great. We also can see our wifi surveillance camera 24/7 and get alerts when someone is on the boat.
    $50/month, unlimited data. But you have to be in an area where T-Mobile has tower signal. So far, everywhere we go, we have a good signal.

Another option, some libraries will let you check out a hotspot for free, if you have a library card. Most are good for a week. We did this for a couple years so we could see internet T.V. and not waste our cell phone data minutes.
    Last edited by Tricia II; 06-02-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMeacham View Post
    I'm having great results with Starlink. So far no problems and am very happy with the results.

Before Starlink I spent a lot of money and frustration trying to get a Digital Yacht 4Gconnect and WL510 working but that system failed horribly.

Attachment 59042Attachment 59043
    Took this pic of Liberty back in January when we stopped by the charthouse for lunch

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Took this pic of Liberty back in January when we stopped by the charthouse for lunch

That's her! I bought her in Feb '22 and already have done quite a bit of work on it. I'm definitely looking forward to getting her seaworthy and out adventuring around!
    Liberty
    1977 53' Hatteras MY