Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mobile hot spot device vs cell phone hot spot?

We are doing the "best way to get internet on the boat" thing.
    I am considering a mobile hot spot, possibly the Verizon Jetpack or the Netgear mobile hotspot.

Also thinking about combining that with a range booster.

The question is will one of these actually provide faster internet versus just using my regular cell phone as a hot spot?

It's going to tap into basically the same cell phone service towers, so I am guessing it would be the same upload/download rates, but maybe my thinking is wrong?

Thought I would come here and ask the experts, I know many of you have gone through this!
    Thank you!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Mobile hot spot device vs cell phone hot spot?

I’m using a t-mobile Home 5G set up. It’s very very fast and have been able to connect 3 TVs a camera system and still work phones and laptops without any problem.
    David Moore
    1973 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fisherman
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

I’ve been looking at starlink 500.00 for equipment and 99.00 a month. And you can cruise and still get signal. Still has a ways to go to be perfect but it looks great.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It depends on what you need and where you are

Using a phone as a hot spot is fine for occasional use like on week ends. Wont cost you anything depending on the plan you have. In some cases you get a couple of gigs free and they charge you extra or slow you down

If you spend a lot of time on board it s worth using a dedicated hot spot or a cell modem connected to a quality router. The hardware isn’t expensive but you ll have to get another “line”. I ve used a small netgear hotspot and it works fine

In most areas with good coverage a cell booster or range extender won’t make much of a difference. If you cruise away from areas with strong signal, a booster will help. In the bahamas we get another 4 or 5 miles with a Shakespeare booster. That’s about 30/40 % more.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Screenshot_20220524-140126_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220524-130003_Chrome.jpg

Results above with and with out the cellular booster! This is from a couple miles offshore around Traverse city Michigan out in Lake Michigan. We did a trip from Onekama up around and through the straights of Mackinaw and down through lake Huron to the Lake St. Clair area. The only place we lost service was out in the middle of Saginaw Bay. Many spots we were 5 miles off shore with service.

Thanks guys, I checked the star link and it won't be available in the Michigan area until some time in 2023.

So I did some research on the cell signal boosters and ordered a Cel-fi Go marine package from Powerfulsignal.com[h=1]Coastal Cruising Marine Cel-Fi GO G32 Cell Signal Booster with 82-Inch High-Gain Antenna | Top Signal Series[/h]
    Available only from Powerful Signal
    4 answered questionsAsk a question
    • Most powerful marine booster available
    • High-gain (8.5 dBi) marine whip antenna with quick-release mount
    • For use while moored (100 dB) & while underway (65 dB)
    • Works with Verizon 5G/4G and AT&T, T‑Mobile, UScellular, GCI Alaska 5G/4G/3G
    • Improves signal for multiple phones using the same carrier
    • Inside directional panel antenna includes mounting hardware; also stands upright & is easily moved where you need better signal
    • 120V AC power supply & 12V DC socket power supply
    I will try to let you know how it works.
    It's the most powerful one I could find.
    Thanks for all the input!
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 07-09-2022 at 10:07 AM.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Until starlink gets the kinks worked out there is really only one answer that makes any financial sense. Google ‘calyx institute’. Highly recommend. To my knowledge the last true unlimited data-only plan out there.

M/V Freedom on YouTube addressed this with a Verizon hotspot, a wifi router and an external antenna. I actually pieced together the equipment they referenced... They've reviewed it and really like it for what they do.

weBoost Drive Reach - Vehicle Cell Phone Signal Booster | 5G & 4G LTE | Magnetic Roof Antenna | Boosts All U.S. Carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile | Made in the U.S. | FCC Approved (model 470154)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDVTMM6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Wilson Electronics 9.88-inch 4G Wide Band Omni-Directional Marine Antenna w/ SMA Male Connectorhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVZURS1/?coliid=I28HH9NREJVDNA&colid=2JVSWVPEORSRN&psc=1&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Big question is will it work in the center of Lake Michigan? So far Verizon and ATT do not.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Big question is will it work in the center of Lake Michigan? So far Verizon and ATT do not.
    And why would you need it in the center of the lake?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Internet radio.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale