Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Better Sea Strainers Basket Replacement for Perko 493 Series???

Is there a better Perko 493 series strainer basket replacement (Perko # 049300899D)? I'm tired of replacing the SS baskets every couple of years. It appears only to be an issue with the AC strainers due to volume of water flow. Being in FL, AC's run a lot! The baskets are cheaply made, bad welds, and SS seems inferior. Is there a Groco compatible basket in SS or Monel or Poly? Or other alternative? Thanks!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Better Sea Strainers Basket Replacement for Perko 493 Series???

You might try measuring what you have and calling Groco. They do make some Monel basket/strainers for their units, so it's worth finding out.

I have red plastic strainers in my a/c and generator strainers, they supposedly have a biocide to prevent marine growth, they have been working for over 15 years without failure and stay fairly clean of marine growth. The only problem is that I can’t find any more.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I have found plastic Groco strainer baskets in some Perko assemblies before.

Vetus makes a nice, whole plastic strainer assembly.

Amazon seems to have a LOT of Groco parts available. I found the compatible flushing caps there, and also an assortment of strainer baskets, including poly ones.

https://smile.amazon.com/Groco-BP-3-...s%2C177&sr=8-8
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I tired of Oberdorfer pump heads and ss strainers. March pump as primary now, plastic baskets and bromine tablets. Our water might be worse than FL.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    I tired of Oberdorfer pump heads and ss strainers. March pump as primary now, plastic baskets and bromine tablets. Our water might be worse than FL.
    I have to backwash my thru-hulls about 2x/week in the summer even with regular hull cleanings. The bromine tablets seem to help, but not before the strainers. On the other hand, I've gotten proficient at my issue resolution process. The problem is it's 2-3 times a week on average depending on the weather and what's washing down the Caloosahatchie.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

It appears the Groco Strainer Baskets are the way to go. All plastic as first choice and SS w/plastic handle and bottom as second choice. Does anyone have a cross reference for the Groco basket for a Perko 493 Series size 99D Basket? The 99D basket is approximately 8.25" Tall (10-7/8" w/handle) and 3.5" Diameter. Thanks!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Since I poseted the link to Amazon, the price went up $20 and the original Prime shipper disappeared. I found them on Defender for $40

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL