Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Thru-hull Scoop Question

Hey to the Hatteras Folks. I have a 1988, 40DCMY, 5.9, 300 HP Cummins. I am pretty sure that my engine water intakes are 2". I just hired a dive to clean the bottom. He told me the intake starboard scoop was loose in the front and attached in the rear. On the starboard side, I have 3 intakes. One is 2" and two are 1". The 1" are for the AC and Gen. My question is the scoop and the thru-hull all one piece or is the scoop attached from the bottom. All of my thru-hulls are tri-bolted through the hull.

Re: Thru-hull Scoop Question

Scoops come both ways.
    Separate and combined strainers to the thru hull fitting.
    For a 2" thru hull, I would say they are separate.

Can your diver tighten / replace the loose or missing screw?

In Jax? Oli (BlissFull Bottoms) can fix you up. Tell him I said so...
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-01-2022 at 07:42 PM.

Re: Thru-hull Scoop Question

Sounds just like my boat ( except I have gassers). I replaced all my external scoops with Buck Algonquin rectangular strainers. My Perko external scoop strainers were all original and attached by screws that did not go through the hull. When I installed my Buck Algonquin strainers I also got rid of my Perko intake water strainers located in the engine room (for both main engines, generator, and AC). The external strainers have worked flawlessly and have freed up a lot of bilge space in the engine room. I did not have to drill any holes through the hull for the B-A strainers and used some 3M 4500 to help the screws hold the strainers on the hull. all done during a haul-out .

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40DC, Hull #377