Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fresh Water Pump - 1972 43 DC

Having a heck of a time with my Fresh Water Pump on my 1972 43 DC. Thought my pump had burned out /exceeded it's useful life. Bought a new one and still not working. Connected the old one directly to the battery and ... it works!

Test light on the wires to the pump - lights sometimes .. does not light sometimes. When is connect the old or the new pump to the circuit for the pump - nothing!

Could it be a bad breaker? Could it be faulty wiring? Appears that not enough "juice" is getting to the pump.

In the past, I would have to switch the breaker on and off to get it going - but it always worked.

Not wanting to re-wire that entire circuit (but I may need to do so).

Options -

re-wire the circuit?

Direct connect to the battery?

Connect to another circuit near the water pump?

I am so sore from crawling around in the engine compartment last night (6'5" frame is not made for this stuff).

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Fresh Water Pump - 1972 43 DC

I would start by replacing the breaker. Although they rarely go bad it’s an easy and cheap thing to do. If that doesn’t work then you may have a wiring issue. Corrosion or chaffing. Back then Hatteras used untinned wire so check carefully especially at terminal blocks. Mine had some terminal blocks in the ER that were not in great conditions.

It woudl help knowing what kind of pump you have and what you are replacing it with. Does it have a built in pressure switch? If not, have you replaced the external pressure switch? Have you try bypassing it ? They’re another source of issues

Finally measure voltage at the pump. A test light is ok for a quick test but actual voltage can tell you a lot more.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Fresh Water Pump - 1972 43 DC

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I would start by replacing the breaker. Although they rarely go bad it’s an easy and cheap thing to do. If that doesn’t work then you may have a wiring issue. Corrosion or chaffing. Back then Hatteras used untinned wire so check carefully especially at terminal blocks. Mine had some terminal blocks in the ER that were not in great conditions.

It woudl help knowing what kind of pump you have and what you are replacing it with. Does it have a built in pressure switch? If not, have you replaced the external pressure switch? Have you try bypassing it ? They’re another source of issues

Finally measure voltage at the pump. A test light is ok for a quick test but actual voltage can tell you a lot more.
    My water pump on an 80 43 has a low pressure cut off switch, you have to hold the lever up for a few seconds to build up a bit of pressure, if your water line connection is leaking between the pump and the check valve on the water tank connection you can lose prime and the need to restart the pump.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI