Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 32 Volt Bulbs

32 Volt Bulbs

I did search before posting, but didn't find an answer. Does anyone know where to get the master bedroom overhead clear tubular bulbs - two of them 40 Watts each, beauty mirror round bulb 25 Watts each, and Exterior overhead light bulb on Radar Arch lights wattage not listed on bulb.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: 32 Volt Bulbs

Try Watt A Light. They are great to work with.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have a bunch of 32v bulbs I was going to offer up on the site, if I have bulbs that will work you can have them.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Sam’s has led replacement for the screw in 32volt bulbs. The make up mirror lights are available in led too.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

The mirror lights in my boat are 120v not 32v, unscrew one and read the base. On the tube lights, the Sam's guy said they haven't had enough demand for those in ages to warrant having a production run made since everybody goes with LED's now. Unless somebody wants 1,000+ of them, they're permanently NLA. So that's what I did is switch to LED's. As much griping as I've done in the past about LED's from when I changed all the lights on my searay to LED 10 years ago, and they were blinding yet somehow still not that bright and gave me a headache, the newer ones aren't like that at all. They look almost exactly like a real bulb you can barely tell any difference. They use like 10% of the power, which helps battery life on the hook. I'm happy with these new ones.

I went with the 12V Monster ones, the warm white ones are virtually identical in terms of output and color to the regular 40w tubular bulbs.

24V - 36V DC LED Light Bulb BC B22 Edison E27 Lamp RV - 12VMonster Lighting

Well I had a little scare and should have read this post before going to the boat. Turns out my master suite overhead bulbs are 110volt not 32 volt. I found this out the hard way when I plugged a 32 volt LED bulb in and it immediately exploded. The breaker tripped and no harm was done, but seeing sparks flying near the headliner got my heart going. Luckily the local hardware store had the long tubular 110 volt replacement bulbs. I share this to help others avoid the mistake. I plan to check with volt meter next time when in doubt. Everyone knows the old saying about "Don't Assume".

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonten View Post
    Well I had a little scare and should have read this post before going to the boat. Turns out my master suite overhead bulbs are 110volt not 32 volt. I found this out the hard way when I plugged a 32 volt LED bulb in and it immediately exploded. The breaker tripped and no harm was done, but seeing sparks flying near the headliner got my heart going. Luckily the local hardware store had the long tubular 110 volt replacement bulbs. I share this to help others avoid the mistake. I plan to check with volt meter next time when in doubt. Everyone knows the old saying about "Don't Assume".Mark
    I did the exact thing, with the exact same result. I thought somebody had changed those lights to ac from dc, are they 120v in all these boats? I wonder what the logic was of making just those 2 ac and all the rest dc?

It would probably be a good idea for all of us to put a Dino label tape inside the fixture so when the light does go out eventually whoever changes it will see it’s either 110 or 32 volt and not have to guess or make a mistake and blow a fuse or bulb.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Originally, all of the 120v switches were the "soft switches" and the 32v switches "clicked" on and off; at least in 1985. So, on my boat, I can tell if it is AC or DC by flipping the wall switch. If it's more difficult to move the switch and it "clicks" to the on or off position, then its 32v.

Now, I know some owners/yards may have changed out switches over time and YMMV, but my switches are all original and that is how I know what I've got going on without getting out the volt meter.

Of course, you could also just look at the bulb you took out and see what the markings are on it before replacing (but who would do that?).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Originally, all of the 120v switches were the "soft switches" and the 32v switches "clicked" on and off; at least in 1985. So, on my boat, I can tell if it is AC or DC by flipping the wall switch. If it's more difficult to move the switch and it "clicks" to the on or off position, then its 32v.

Now, I know some owners/yards may have changed out switches over time and YMMV, but my switches are all original and that is how I know what I've got going on without getting out the volt meter.

Of course, you could also just look at the bulb you took out and see what the markings are on it before replacing (but who would do that?).
    As soon as you said that I realized you're 100% right about the switches. It's the same on my boat. Based on that observation the two overhead lights in the master stateroom and the overhead light in the guest stateroom would be 120v and the rest are 32v. I figured somebody had changed them, didn't realize that's how they originally came.