Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Current Bahamas travel - Clearance procedures

Guys,

We are planning to depart SW Florida 5/23 bound for the Exumas. I am having a hard time getting a straight answer regarding clearance requirements, specifically the "72hr" window.

I've been told at least three different versions of the 72hr window:

1) Must arrive and clear in within 72hrs of the PCR test
    2) Arriving outside the 72hr window is acceptable if the boat has not made any stops
    3) The 72hr window is actually between taking the PRC test and submitting it for health visa and the it has nothing to do with when you actually clear in.

We are on a slow moving 58LRC and depending on weather, we might make it in the 72hrs, but on the other hand - it may take 4-5 days or more.

Don't want to arrive in Chub to be told go home. We were planning to bypass Bimini, but maybe that is the only way to shorten or travel time....

Appreciate any assistance on this.
    Last edited by zigzag930; 05-09-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Re: Current Bahamas travel - Clearance procedures

Are you leveraging the Click-2-Clear? I'm looking to make the same voyage leave out of FLL and check in at Chub. This is my understanding based on THE BAHAMAS website and validated with the US Embassy. You get 72 hours. If it takes more than 72hrs, its their call to either make you take an additional test, quartile you, or send you packing.... Given the islands, I would suspect, they would just make you take another test.

Vaccinated Travelers:  Those traveling to The Bahamas from other countries will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or RT-PCR), taken no more than three days (72 hours) prior to the date of arrival to The Bahamas.

Unvaccinated Travelers:  Unvaccinated travelers, ages 12 and older, entering The Bahamas must obtain a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (including PCR, NAA, NAAT, TMA or RNA) test taken no more than three days (72 hours) prior to the date of arrival.

Additional Resources:
    https://www.bahamascustoms.gov.bs/vi...ising-permits/
    https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates
    https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
    Best regards,
    --
    David

two additional pieces of information per US Embassy:

- For questions, contact the Ministry of Tourism COVID-19 Travel Compliance Unit at 1-786-471-5898 (USA) or at +1 (242) 604-7200 or +1 (242) 502-0829 (The Bahamas) or via email to healthvisa@bahamas.com.

- Vessels other than cruise ships: Anyone who is at sea on the second day of his stay is required to undergo a Rapid Antigen test at the first port of call thereafter and submit the result via the travel health visa website at https://travel.gov.bs. If a visitor traveling by boat is symptomatic, they must go to the first port of call and submit to a RT PCR COVID-19 test and mandatory isolation until the test results are available. If the RT PCR COVID-19 test result is positive, the individual must remain in mandatory isolation for 7 days, however if they test negative on Day 5, they may be released from isolation. or the duration of stay, whichever is shorter.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

We ve been going a dozen time in the last 18 months since this red flu hysteria started, last trip was in March. We re heading back to the Exumas in a couple of weeks

You have 3 days to arrive in the Bahamas from the day you take the test. So if you take the test on Monday, you need to arrive no later than Thursday.

When travelong by private boat, if you arrive afterr 3 days, you may need to show that you were underway using GPS track for example.

If vaxed you can take a rapid antigen test with almost immediate results. If not vaxed you need a RT-PCR test. Usually this takes 24-36 hours but there some testing sites which get you 3 hours results. I ve done the last two in Key Biscayne with Curative and I got results right away.

I apply for visas right after getting the test results and get the visas the same day.

Since March, follow up testing after arrival has been eliminated.

Click2Clear is irrelevant for the health visas but is pretty much mandatory and a PITA to use
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What ever you do, do not call the Bahamas health number. 1 they are not very helpful and 2 the call cost us $50.00.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have spoke to the Bahamas consulate, ministry, etc. Each of these institutions has provided me with a different answer. Even the websites read differently with some saying "72 hours before departing for the Bahamas" and others saying "72 hours before arriving in the Bahamas. I'm thinking they most likely assume that departure and arrival will be on the same day.

I have posted my question (via email) to the department responsible for issuing the health visa, hoping to obtain a written statement of what they will accept in specific terms (as it relates to my situation of possibly arriving outside the window)

Pascal, I believe you have confirmed my understanding of how things work. I will have a GPS track, but still concerned about being turned away for some ridiculous reason. What I'm wondering is if they're going to look specifically at the hour of the test or is it basically 3 days?

We will take our PCR tests Monday morning, then send the results in so that we can obtain the health visa (hopefully) Monday afternoon or Tuesday. At that point we plan to head over to the Bahamas on Tuesday giving us until Thursday to get to Chubb.

Yes there has been some confusion about the fact timing. It is not 72 hours from the time you get the brain stabbed but 72 hours as in three days.

There has been a lot of discussion over rules on various bahamas groups and I have never heard of anyone being turned away because they arrived a day late. To be safe, take a picture when leaving the harbor entrance which will have the time stamp and the geolocation. Then take another one entering the cut at cat cay…. That will prove you were underway

Couple more things.

If you don’t use Click2Clear they will make you use it when you get there so you may as well do it in advance.
    When you go to Click2Clear click on the cruising permit button , you don’t have to login the system
    When you start processing your trip, you will be assign a rotation number. Take a screen shot. Without the number you have to start all over
    Note that the rotation number and your registration or documentation is case sensitive and must be entered as shown in the screen shot. You just include the PCR- prefix in caps!
    Never use your browser back button or you will have to enter the PCR number again
    When returning to the US you must clear out (since July 2020). You need to print your outbound clearance in Click2Clear, pulling your entry with the rotation number) and then submit it in person. Keep a stamped copy as proof

Finally, always book Chub online, much cheaper. If extending your stay beware that rate may go up without notice !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal - Thank you.

So now for the interesting part. We've checked on PCR test turn-around and are being told 48-72hrs by CVS, Walgreens, etc. So how in the world do you get tested, wait 72hrs for the result and be able to successfully obtain the health travel visa, nevertheless make it to the Bahamas? What a PITA this is

As mentioned before you need to find a place which does rapid PCR test. That’s what we ve been doing since they shortened the time from 5 to 3 days last year. Forget CVS etc.

We ve used Curative on a key Biscayne but they have other locations that provide rapid PCR. Results in a couple of hours. in addition to key Biscayne there is one in Ft lauderdale, Miami Beach and plan beach I believe. Check the map on their website
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat