Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Potter & Brumfield to Bosch Relay

I have an old Potter & Brumfield (P&B) relay that is no longer in production. I would like to replace with more readily available 5 pin Bosch relay. I'm not really familiar with the P&B relays, other than they where high quality. What would be the proper pin conversion from the P&B to Bosch? Appreciate the help...thanks!

P&B => Bosch
    1-C =>
    2-NC => 87a
    3-NO => 87
    4 =>
    5 =>

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.33.36 AM.jpg
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Potter & Brumfield to Bosch Relay

1-C => 30
    2-NC => 87a
    3-NO => 87
    4 => 85
    5 => 86

Thanks Ralph. This is a relay on the Wesmar Bow Thruster. What has me so curious, based on the wiring diagram, the relay appears to be a grounding relay that enable the solenoids. So, if the relay is activated via Thermo Switch, it would open (NO) the ground on the circuit and disable the circuit (remove ground) for bow thruster switch, preventing any solenoid from being activated. Are these assumptions correct?

1-C (30) = ground (to activate solenoid)
    2-NC (87a) = ground
    3-NO (87) = Not used (no wire connected)
    4 (85) = Power (24v DC)
    5 (86) = Thermo Switch (ground)

Relay Solenoids WD.jpg
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Those are super common, there’s no need to reinvent the wheel.https://www.ebay.com/itm/35308961863...EAAOSwdnhez5j~

Agreed, not looking to reinvent...was just looking to fully understand how this Relay worked and if needed, could determine how to bypass or replace with a Bosch relay more easily procured in the islands. Thirst, or in this case - thrust, for knowledge.... ;-)
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Are these assumptions correct?

IMO, Yes.