Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: tablet for navigation

This Hatteras cruiser makes a decent case for Samsung tablets, if you are open to the idea of non apple products are your boat.
    No need to buy the cellular version for aquamaps and navionics. https://youtu.be/ROr1j1cPkRE
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I bought a cheap Android tablet on Amazon - "DragonTouch". At the time was under $100, now it's something like $130-150. It has integrated GPS and runs Aqua Maps nicely.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I know everybody says the cellular service for it is a waste of money...but hear me out. My boat's primary internet is through Calyx Institute (one of the only true unlimited no-throttling data-plans left out there), which runs off the Sprint/T-Mobile network. It works great most of the time. When traveling in some rural areas you do lose signal from time to time. Our cell phones are with AT&T. If Sprint/T-Mobile has low or no signal, AT&T has it covered most of the time. The big iPad we use for backup navigation and tide apps has a cellular plan through Verizon. Between the three of them, we always have service everywhere all the time. The only exception is once you get +/- 10 miles offshore, but that can't be helped, there are no cell towers in the ocean. The redundancy gives us reliable service all the time wherever we go.

Apple devices can tether, they become a router and broadcast your wifi network to your other devices onboard, including your phones where you can do wifi calling. You were already going to pay for the cell phones anyway, it doesn't really factor in budget-wise. The Calyx subscription on Sprint/T-Mobile is $600/yr for unlimited cellular data, it works out to $50/mo including taxes and fees. The Verizon iPad data plan is $50/mo also including all taxes and fees. I have them all set up with the same network name and password, so failing over from one to another is a 2 second process.

It's not that expensive and there's basically nowhere in the country I can't go and not make a phone call, watch tv, or do work if I need to. If you wonder why it matters, I think I'm a little younger than most of the crew here. I just turned 40 so I'm getting up there, but still young enough that my better half and a lot of my friends and family members are into video games and tv. Freebird had some observations on the wisdom of this, he did a 900 mile delivery trip with me during which one spent almost the entire time in his cabin playing video games and 2 more were glued to tv's 24/7. Yes I also think it's ridiculous, but what're you gonna do. Anyway, just saying there is a huge upside to having plans from multiple providers from a reliability standpoint.

Relying on Wifi is a waste of money and energy, not cellular. I stopped bothering with Wifi boosters a few years ago and switched to a good cellular modem. Almost always have service even in the bahamas.

I ve been using cellular for data one way or another for 15+ years now. Back around 2008-2012 I used to rein a web cam at the helm of the boat I was running using a cellular card on my laptop. Between Miami and cape cod I had coverage 95% of the time.

Yes you can share a connection from your phone but most carriers charge you extra. Not worth it. Better get a sim and stand alone plan

As to android tablets, I m not a fan. Maybe the high end ones are good but the cheap ones are too slow. There was two of them on the boat i run now just to be used as remotes for the Control4 system and I ended up throwing them away to replace them by IPod Touch. Much faster.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I didn't read the whole thread. Two notes, you need wifi to download charts you don't already have (I realize this off shore when we motored off the chart) and 2, the sun washes some tablets.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I got a Samsung Galaxy S7 FE and it works great with Navionics. It has built in GPS
    it wifi connects to my phone for updates etc., or to marina wifi when docked.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I've used several tablets on board various boats. Virtually all work fine and no need for cellular. Biggest problem with all of these is the screen when in direct sunlight. Good luck being able to see what's being displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Thank you very much for your input gentleman.
    Since I will be off shore as little as humanly possible and I already have these apps on my phone, I don't think I will go with the cellular connection. Will I still need an iPad with cellular capability? Where does the internal iPad GPS get it's signal?
    Home port is Punta Gorda Fl. About an hour and a half south of Tampa (by car)
    I am in Fort Myers at Legacy Harbor. I bought a cheap (Under $100) Android tablet with independent GPS capability. While we've only run across Okeechobee WW, and down to the coast and back, the tablet performed very well running Aqua Maps, which I have been really pleased with. The current incarnation of the tablet is $150 or so, but I plan on buying a second one to have a spare.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredire...getName=sp_atf

If you're in Punta Gorda, I was just in your neighborhood Friday picking up a part at the West Marine store, as they were the closest store to me that had it on hand.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    I've used several tablets on board various boats. Virtually all work fine and no need for cellular. Biggest problem with all of these is the screen when in direct sunlight. Good luck being able to see what's being displayed.
    This is true, also if you have polarized sunglasses they can be a problem.
    On my upper helm I have a Garmin, and I bring up my Samsung tablet with navionics on it and my android phone with navionics on it. When I put my sunglasses on the tablet and phone go pitch black to me, the garmin is unaffected. I don't know why this is but good to know if you happen to where polarized sunglasses.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Tilt your head or rotate the tablet and the screen will appear. The Garmin may get a lil darker tilting tour head.

https://www.revantoptics.com/blogs/t...unglasses-work
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-23-2022 at 11:49 AM.