Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

tablet for navigation

Last September, I purchased an 88, 40ft double cabin On Lake Erie and stored it there over the winter. This June, I plan on piloting the boat down to my home on the west coast of Florida. I recently purchased a Raymarine Axiom 9 with a Navionics chip for my basic navigation. However, I would also like to add a tablet as back up and load it with Aqua Map and Navionics and perhaps overlay Bob 423 tracks and routes. I have to admit, I know nothing about this. I guess my first question is: what features do I need on the tablet? Cellular? GPS? 4G, unlocked? Etc.? The second question is do I need to add a phone line at $20 per month?
    Thanks for your help
    Larry

Re: tablet for navigation

No phone line needed. Get an I pad with GPS capability. I have Navionics, Inavix and Garmin apps on mine and all three work in airplane mode on my I pad. If you use Apple devices there is redundancy that they are on your phone as well. Anytime I go offshore, even on someone else's boat, I take my phone and have my spots with me. In my boat I take the I pad as a back up in case my main electronics give me issues. Has bailed me out more than once.

Also where is your home on FL West coast? I live in Hernando Beach about an hour North of Tampa

I use a 15" ipad pro running navionics as a backup, it's also useful for looking up marinas, restaurant hours, fuel prices, etc., which you can't do on your plotter. I got one of the keyboard attachments for it so it's super easy to use. You will definitely want the cellular connection, it's way better that way. If you have cellular internet on your boat, sign the ipad up with a different carrier than your cellular wifi hotspot runs and you will have redundancy.

If you get the cellular connection you will want to make sure you are not on data roaming, etc when you get way offshore or you might get some high bills unless things have changed in the last couple years. It is nice to have when you are coastal but if you are going to cut across the Gulf of Mexico you might get some high bills if you happen to get a cell signal off an oil rig or other means while you are using data.

If you r enjoy going to muse it for nav you don’t need cell service although you will Need Wifi to install the apps, download and update charts as well as active captain

If you have a router with cell modem on board, no need for call service

Now, if you don’t have a service on the boat, whether thru a hot spot or a cell modem / router, you may want to add a service plan. Coats depends on your carrier. Relying on marina Wifi rarely works

An alternative is to use your phone as a hotspot. Cost vary depending on carrier.

I m not familiar with android tablets. iPads only have build in GPS chip in cellular models. Highly recommended for navigation. Otherwise you need to use a Bluetooth GPS receive your high adds a layer of complexity. Worth the extra $100

Accuracy is iPads is excellent. Primary drawback is that they can be left in the sun for long. Also, they are not waterproof, unlike phones, so you need a waterproof case. My favorite is the Lifeproof Nud as it doesn’t have a screen cover. The seal I made between the case and the glass. Apple screens are very tough so don’t worry about scratching it… wont happen. Not having some cover on the screen helps visibility.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you very much for your input gentleman.
    Since I will be off shore as little as humanly possible and I already have these apps on my phone, I don't think I will go with the cellular connection. Will I still need an iPad with cellular capability? Where does the internal iPad GPS get it's signal?
    Home port is Punta Gorda Fl. About an hour and a half south of Tampa (by car)

Yes only the cellular models of iPads have the GPS chip. You don’t have to activate service
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

x2 on what Pascal said. First time I bought a wifi only and it wouldn't work. Had to buy one with cellular but no cell activation and it worked like a charm because it had a GPS. My current one has cellular plan on it but I use the app in airplane mode to avoid roaming charges when I am offshore.

I bought an iPad with cell/GPS and added a Garmin GLO 2 for better GPS acquisition and accuracy, and I've been very happy using this with both Aqua Maps and Navionics apps.