Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Still looking for my Hatteras

Have been looking for either 48 or 52 cockpit MY. Curious as to why when I look also at the price on sportfish models usually are less than the MY's. Is it because they run them harder and as such the engines are pushed harder? Much appreciated

Re: Still looking for my Hatteras

SF's run to fish, run back for beer. It's usually not for cruising or sight seeing.
    Accommodations are a lil smaller also.
    Of course there are some exceptions but that is how I feel.

Having restored our 48 YF over last 18 months, I realized a lot of hard truths. Mainly...1. I will always prefer the lines of a convertible over YF or MY. 2. A convertible would never be near practical enough for our use.

How about a 58 YF or ED? That will give you more space and likely more boats to look at.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

The 52C is all about the ample flybridge. If she's moving, everyone wants to be up there, in the breeze with a commanding view. Lots of room.

I can't have a MY, yet, because my family doesn't help with anything! Docking that 52 is easier than a 28' center console because I have a clear view of the transom. When I pull into a marina, it looks like I know what I'm doing because it's easy to move the transom an inch either way. I don't know how you guys do it in a MY - without being able to see exactly what's happening back there.

One day I might try a CPMY...with transom controls. The 52C is completely adequate for cruising EXCEPT my dog can't get on the bridge, and my dog is the most important person on the boat.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Hope your wife doesn’t read that.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

OP you might consider a Viking 54 MY. Same type of layout with much better engine room. Man 820s over Detroits and a touch faster.