Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Hatteras Sail boat

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i'm pretty sure a local guy in mississippi just bought that alden hawksbill. i saw it at the boat yard today, re doing her from top to bottom. she is completely gutted right now
    Wow, that's great news. Wonder if it's a wood or one of the few glass boats they made? Good to know there's so many of us admiring the classics, and restoring them, in a world full of plastic junk.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Damn she is a beast... I wonder how she sails.

Hatt Sail 65.jpg
    Ty Lewis
    In Decent Seas
    1970 Chris Craft Commander 55
    HIN: FAA-55-0001 DD 8V-71 NA
    Kent Island, MD

Good to know sounds like she's still around. Would love to see her. If your buying a Hatteras is it really a sail boat ?

Each of the three boats they built had two DD engines. I think it would be called a motorsailor.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Never heard of such a thing. Looks pretty nice.
    Attachment 58632

I wish they made the Alden Hawksbill....the only boat with a sail I've ever really wanted:
    Attachment 58633

I like it as well. Interesting boat. The Nordhavn 56 Motorsail is interesting as well. Great for open water but I would hate running the ICW with that Mast

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Wow, that's great news. Wonder if it's a wood or one of the few glass boats they made? Good to know there's so many of us admiring the classics, and restoring them, in a world full of plastic junk.
    she is fiberglass hull with wood decks, the front 8 feet or so of the deck was rotten due to the very large pulpit leaking water into the deck, that part has been removed and being replaced.. the guy that bought her is VERY capable of rebuilding her or having her repaired by someone else
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I saw one in wrightsville beach probably early 80’s. I first noticed the salon windows were the typical period aluminum frame Hatteras windows. Then I saw the cheesy AMF plastic nameplate that replaced the original check plate. If you see one IRL it definitely has the Hatteras look not overall appearance but certain details like the windows and such. I’ve heard from some of my snobby sailboat friends that word was it didn’t sail well.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Ted Hood designs generally sail very well and this design is rather similar to some of his later Little Harbor designs that are solid performing cruising yachts. The 65 Sail Yacht is not a light air boat (way too heavy) but I'd bet that she is extremely capable offshore.

In the interest of disclosure, I tend to like sailboats built by powerboat makers as I own a 32' Chris Craft Cherokee sailboat (an S&S design) that sails very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsherid1 View Post
    Ted Hood designs generally sail very well and this design is rather similar to some of his later Little Harbor designs that are solid performing cruising yachts. The 65 Sail Yacht is not a light air boat (way too heavy) but I'd bet that she is extremely capable offshore.

In the interest of disclosure, I tend to like sailboats built by powerboat makers as I own a 32' Chris Craft Cherokee sailboat (an S&S design) that sails very, very well.
    Don't forget the Bayliner Buccaneer!

10. Re: Hatteras Sail boat

There is one in Isla Mujeras.