Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inter protect and micron csc coverage

I'm starting to think about doing the bottom of my 1973 42c. There are no blisters or other problems, its just time to get rid of the 49 years of layers and I would like to redo my boot stripe. The issue is trying to calculate the amount of material required for coverage. If anyone has done a boat in this size or close how much did it take.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Inter protect and micron csc coverage

I’m going with 1 gallon per side, per coat as my estimate.

So, Interlux 2000E, I have 6 gals of grey, 4 gals of white.

3/8” nap roller application.

The actual answer will be known soon!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

2 gallons will be enough for 1 coat. You should have enough left over for two coats from the chine to the waterline. The interprotect, I think, recommends two coats. If so I think 3 gallons will be enough. How are you going to remove all of the old bottom paint?
    Last edited by dsharp; 04-23-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Interprotect recommends 5 coats with roller application.

Thanks for the amounts. I was trying to use theoritical coverage from interlux and the materials required didnt make sense. Since Brett is doing his first and his hull is similar to mine I will be interested to see how he makes out. I plan on doing this next spring, I would like to find winter storage that will allow me to have it media blasted this fall. If not I'll be sanding. I have a dewalt vaviable speed disc sander with 5" discs. It has dust collection and goes to a cyclone dust collector. I have tested it and it works well, it will take more time but it will work. Brett are you going to alternate the colors of the inter protect to judge coverage?

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Yep, gray and white alternating, then one coat of red, two coats of blue.

No possible way could I have sanded my hull, there was so much paint on there.

Had it blasted and still and spending a ton of time getting the blue out of various nooks and crannies.

I agree, getting the paint out from around the shafts will be a time suck for sure.

Walt Hoover

It took the guy 5 days to blast it with a wet sandblast set up. "Dustless blasting".

It has taken me like 5 days so far just to get the little details that he couldn't get to.

Thanks for all the information. Five days of wet blasting, wondering how many days of sanding that will equal? This could be a very long fall!

Walt Hoover

so, I wanted to update this thread to say that basically, having finished the bottom job on my 43DC, I used this, for materials:

2 gals of West System 105/205

11 gals of Interlux Interprotect 2000E (6 gray, 5 white) (extra gallon of the gray was really only necessary because of some extensive fairing on the transom)

2 gals of Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote NT in Red

5 gals of Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote NT in Blue, but this was a mixture, 4 gals Blue 1 gal Black to make a darker color.

4 liters (the larger size, I think it is a liter) of Interlux Watertite Fairing compound

I have a little bit of the West System left over, and I used all of the Interprotect 2000E and I have 1/2 gal of red left over and I have 1 1/2 of my blue mixture left over.

But basically, 1 gal of each of those products does one side of the boat.