Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 MY water tanks

I have a 1981 53my. Long story short, previous owner made the water tank under the mid stateroom a fuel tank. When the boat was repowered, it must have been disconnected. I reconditioned it to be a water tank again. Not sure how they filled it with diesel since there was a fill hose plugged under the other outer twin bed in the mid stateroom. The 2 tanks are connected properly in the master closet.I am looking for photos of the top fittings for the mid stateroom tank. I believe there should be a fill hose connected from the aft tank to the front tank. Thanks

Re: 53 MY water tanks

If nobody answers by then I also have a 1981 53MY and can go over to the boat and photograph it for you tomorrow. Going off memory there is a fill line from the aft tank to the forward tank with a shutoff valve in-line, I think under the floor in the closet. That’s a silly way to get extra fuel tankage, the boat already has an unused tank forward if the 770 gallons wasn’t enough.

On the earlier 53s, all 3 tanks were filled by the single filler into the transom tank. Water would
    Flow from the transom tank into the under floor tank and then up the midship tank

Someone must have cape the hose or fittings connecting the midship and floor tank
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes, there is the line from the aft tank that runs under the floor, connects in the aft closet with the mid tank with that line continuing to the pump. That is all brand new including a valve at the mid tank connection. Both tanks have a copper pipe vent that's original.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    On the earlier 53s, all 3 tanks were filled by the single filler into the transom tank. Water wouldFlow from the transom tank into the under floor tank and then up the midship tank Someone must have cape the hose or fittings connecting the midship and floor tank
    It’s the same in my 81, both tanks fill from the aft fill port and from there the aft tank drains to the forward tank. The boat really holds a lot of water compared to other boats it’s size. My 47 Commander holds 90 gallons by comparison. My sea ray 80.