Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Simrad autopilot upgrade and questions

My AP22 display finally went out so Ive decided to upgrade. I ripped out my J300x and will get a NAC3 which I can network to my NSS12evo2. Ive heard people mention high and low current versions of the NAC3. This is on a ‘84 45C. I haven’t measured cylinder volume yet. I’d like to upgrade the pump eventually but was hoping to get by with the old one for now. Also wondering if the old nmea183 rudder indicator and rate compass will work with the NAC3 and if so, will the NAC3 pass the rudder position and heading to my nmea2000 network? By the way, I already have the cable to input video and 0183 data to the NSS12. Thanks guys

Re: Simrad autopilot upgrade and questions

We changed/upgraded our AP to a NAC-3 a few years ago and changed the rudder indicator to the N2K one. It was just hung onto the N2K loop in the lazarette.
    For the compass we installed the Precision 9, later we added HS60 gps compass. I'm thinking the NAC3 uses the HS60 for heading date but not quite 100% sure.
    As far as the high or low current I would get the high unit, you never know what pump you will end up down the road.
    Btw, if you have EVO2 why are you messing around with the old NEMA stuff.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Btw, if you have EVO2 why are you messing around with the old NEMA stuff.
    Can you expand on these thoughts? Problems with SimNet, N2K, Or what you think may be a problem?

I’ll upgrade the rate compass and rudder sensor eventually but they are still working and I dont have a backbone cable run yet to those areas of the boat. One of these days I’ll get around to it….

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Can you expand on these thoughts? Problems with SimNet, N2K, Or what you think may be a problem?
    Only that if you're doing the install yourself I think N2K is easier to work with than 0183.
    That and egging on some of the posters hanging on to their 30 and 40 year old electronics when they break.

And I like new stuff, except for the boat itself.....
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

We installed a new NAC-3 system on our 45C. Went with the "core pack" that included the N2K rudder indicator and Precision compass, so installation very simple. We got the high current system and used the existing pump, already installed in the flybridge.

Personally, I wouldn't want the headache of working with NMEA0183, when N2K is just as easy as plug and play.

Good Luck!

JCG

So I’ll be able to use the RF300 rudder indicator on the NAC-3 but I’ll have to get a Precision 9 to replace the old RCF35 compass. Both of the cables run to those cables are identical. Does anyone know howI can tell them apart with a volt/ohm meter? I can’t get my fat ars into that corner of the engine room to try to trace the wires.

The old rudder feedback has 3 leads for the rehostat, the compass will have 4 or 5 leads for the old RobNet cable. Should have different numbers on the jacket.

update….I bought a Precision 9 and ran a backbone cable down the belly of the beast and see it on the network. I am unable to see the NAC-3. I made the network cable for the NAC-3from a drop cable, wired it in blue, white, red, black on the little green plug. Green lights are a flickering. I do not yet have a dedicated display….AP44. Also, i wired in my old rudder indicator. Should the NAC-3 show up when I refresh the device list?

Quote Originally Posted by Logging dog View Post
    update….I bought a Precision 9 and ran a backbone cable down the belly of the beast and see it on the network. I am unable to see the NAC-3. I made the network cable for the NAC-3from a drop cable, wired it in blue, white, red, black on the little green plug. Green lights are a flickering. I do not yet have a dedicated display….AP44. Also, i wired in my old rudder indicator. Should the NAC-3 show up when I refresh the device list?
    Device list on the AP44? Yes, after a global reset.
    Ensure all devices are on. If a GPS is on the net, have it heading to a waypoint.