Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thanks Derek - Avenger (ex scrod)

So, I dropped a turbo off with Derek a month or two ago as it was showing signs of an exhaust leak. He found that the turbine had had something significant blow through it previously, so we decided to replace it. Derek was able to source one for $3500 or so, but I found one online for about 900 less. He agreed it was better than he could do, so I ordered it. Paid extra for 2 day shipping from Memphis. It showed up 3 weeks later, having come from Belgium. And when the transaction hit my account, it was for $800 more than the original deal.

Nothing like getting a good deal online. Anyway, I got the turbo, installed it yesterday, and went down today to finish the job. I noticed that there was a fitting for the oil inlet on top that I had inadvertently left on the old unit with Derek, so I called him up. It will be at my house tomorrow.

So, just saying - keep your business local. Its better than any "good deal" you find online. This is the result of a call I made at 4:30 this afternoon.

Your package is arriving tomorrow.
    From EAST COAST DIESEL SERVICE, INC
    Scheduled Delivery
    Tuesday 04/12/2022
    2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Thanks Derek - Avenger (ex scrod)

Thank you for the endorsement Bob. We try to get things right, and sometimes we actually do. Positive reviews are always appreciated!
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

It was on my porch at 2:30 this afternoon.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Glad it worked out.

I'm still impressed that you got the shipping information so fast. I didn't have time to send you a tracking number and I don't see any notifications set up for you in my address book.

1970 36C375

Another endorsement for Avenger aka Scrod aka Derek - About 4 years ago I replaced the 2 x turbos on my Cummins 903's - the cast flange that bolts to exhaust manifold actually crumbled when I removed them, could not be rebuilt. They had a very dated 6 bolt mount to exhaust manifold that I could not find anywhere, all applicably sized replacements out there are 4 bolt. Derek not only found me an adapter from 6 bolt to 4 bolt, he also found the right turbos that allowed everything to (just about) line up and fit to existing air intake manifold and exhaust hose as original. I would have been absolutely screwed without him on this. He also rebuilt my leaking Cummins 903 injection pumps about 10 years ago, still working flawlessly. He owns the business and is 2nd generation, seen it all and seems to know it all when it comes to diesel engines and their appendages - there's nobody I would trust more.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Thank you Scott. The recommendation is much appreciated.

1970 36C375

Oh, and I just remembered - he did this without getting paid.

Please pm me a bill so I can send you a check.