Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any info on Hatteras "60 Yacht Fish" , Ensign D III

As the title says, wondering if any members have info on this boat. It has been rewired for 24V and repowered back in '99 with Cummings 6CTA's
    Hoping someone might have some insight, especially regarding the cockpit addition in 2004.

Thanks in advance

Re: Any info on Hatteras "60 Yacht Fish" , Ensign D III

Just bringing this to the top again in the hopes that someone has knowledge of this yacht. I am interested in it but I would rather have as much info as possible before I spend time and money to go and look at it.
    Any help would be appreciated. Below is the response from the broker to some of my questions

"Thank you for your interest in the 60 Hatteras Yachtfish I have available in Port St Lucie FL. I have known the boat about 20 years having sold her to the last 2 owners. Current owner bought the boat about 15 years ago after the previous owner had done the refit and cockpit addition. It was done at a yard in Sarasota that no longer exists. There are condos there now. Engines were done before I sold the boat the first time. Everything else was done in bits and pieces. There are some records aboard that will go to the next owner. Current owner had a full-time captain who passed away about 3 years ago. The boat needs some work but is floating and functional. There are some soft spots in the deck but not major areas that I am aware of. For 199K she is a good buy in today’s market."

Specs and photos are attached in pdf format for your review.

All the Best,

Chuck Royhl

Did you ever take a look at this vessel? Looks like she's still on the market at $159k - seems like a good deal, but there must be a reason she's not been sold yet.

Is that the one where the listing says shore power doesn't work because both isolation transformers are shot? What do those cost? Those aren't normally something that breaks. Makes you wonder if they got wet or the boat suffered a lightning strike.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Is that the one where the listing says shore power doesn't work because both isolation transformers are shot? What do those cost? Those aren't normally something that breaks. Makes you wonder if they got wet or the boat suffered a lightning strike.
    That's the one. I'd link it but forum won't let me.

Good question on the transformers; maybe about a grand each? Seems like the sort of thing you'd go ahead and replace prior to a sale if so.

Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    That's the one. I'd link it but forum won't let me.

Good question on the transformers; maybe about a grand each? Seems like the sort of thing you'd go ahead and replace prior to a sale if so.
    Or bypass so at least you could power things up for the sale. I question if the transformers are really bad. I'll bet its inlet fuses or a burnt/loose wire somewhere.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

7. Re: Any info on Hatteras "60 Yacht Fish" , Ensign D III

I’m more curious of where one would find available dockage for it, and what that monthly expense would be?

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Nice boat; I wouldn't be afraid to give it serious consideration. I like the re-power and interior attention to detail.DAN
    Thanks - yeah that's what I felt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    I’m more curious of where one would find available dockage for it, and what that monthly expense would be?
    That depends a lot on where she ends up. Here in San Diego there's a waiting list for 60' slips last I checked, and it'd be $2-3k/mo if you could secure one depending on the marina. I'd potentially get her on a mooring & add some solar to keep everything healthy.

9. Re: Any info on Hatteras "60 Yacht Fish" , Ensign D III

Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    Thanks - yeah that's what I felt as well.

That depends a lot on where she ends up. Here in San Diego there's a waiting list for 60' slips last I checked, and it'd be $2-3k/mo if you could secure one depending on the marina. I'd potentially get her on a mooring & add some solar to keep everything healthy.
    How do you expect to get it to San Diego? You would either have to run her on her bottom, or take her to either Fort Lauderdale or Riviera Beach Florida (where there’s few dockage options) where the scheduled Yacht Carrier’s load, then wait til they actually show up, and they NEVER arrive when scheduled. They can be months late then all of a sudden, with no warning (like on Christmas Eve) they call you with “the ship has arrived, have your boat alongside at 6 am”.

Then- you will have the same scheduling logistics on the Mexican arrival side IF they decide to continue north past Golfito Costa Rica. I had a Dockwise ship in 2010 scheduled to arrive in Vancouver Canada unload all their northbound boats in Golfito, picked up boats IN Golfito (I was there to load a Meridian 580 going to Australia)which had been waiting for months, then just turned left and went straight to Australia, leaving dozens of American and Canadian bound yachts stranded in Golfito-which was a real cluster**** for those yachts waiting to depart Costa Rica to avoid their Costa Rican duties, and of course for the owners of those northbound yachts who had paid in full waiting in Ensenada and Vancouver.

The only saving grace is that Golfito is a pretty nice place to hang out, and there are English speaking professionals there who can take care of your boat , and load them on the next ship that arrives, but $$$ is ticking.

My question about dockage though was addressed more to a buyer local to the West Coast of Florida, where the water is skinny, and the highrises are high. My Captain recently had to move his Bayliner 4788 to Indiantown Florida from North Palm Beach (not close via boat!) due to the home he kept it behind being sold, and no other dockage available anywhere close to his home in West Palm Beach. So basically he took it to a graveyard. I can’t imagine the scenario for a deep draft 60’ boat.
    Last edited by Retired1; 09-02-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    How do you expect to get it to San Diego? You would either have to run her on her bottom, or take her to either Fort Lauderdale or Riviera Beach Florida (where there’s few dockage options) where the scheduled Yacht Carrier’s load, then wait til they actually show up, and they NEVER arrive when scheduled. They can be months late then all of a sudden, with no warning (like on Christmas Eve) they call you with “the ship has arrived, have your boat alongside at 6 am”.

Then- you will have the same scheduling logistics on the Mexican arrival side IF they decide to continue north past Golfito Costa Rica. I had a Dockwise ship in 2010 scheduled to arrive in Vancouver Canada unload all their northbound boats in Golfito, picked up boats IN Golfito (I was there to load a Meridian 580 going to Australia)which had been waiting for months, then just turned left and went straight to Australia, leaving dozens of American and Canadian bound yachts stranded in Golfito-which was a real cluster**** for those yachts waiting to depart Costa Rica to avoid their Costa Rican duties, and of course for the owners of those northbound yachts who had paid in full waiting in Ensenada and Vancouver.

The only saving grace is that Golfito is a pretty nice place to hang out, and there are English speaking professionals there who can take care of your boat , and load them on the next ship that arrives, but $$$ is ticking.

My question about dockage though was addressed more to a buyer local to the West Coast of Florida, where the water is skinny, and the highrises are high. My Captain recently had to move his Bayliner 4788 to Indiantown Florida from North Palm Beach (not close via boat!) due to the home he kept it behind being sold, and no other dockage available anywhere close to his home in West Palm Beach. So basically he took it to a graveyard. I can’t imagine the scenario for a deep draft 60’ boat.
    That sounds like an absolute nightmare. This is mostly me just dreaming at this point, though if it was local I'd be looking at it seriously; Several years ago before we bought our current trawler I looked into transport from FL to CA & it didn't seem to be so difficult according to the transport company I spoke to (Seven Seas Yacht Transport). $30k or so from what I recall.