Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: still looking

still looking

Thought we had found our boat, but wound up being second to the party and didn't get it. Another we were going to look at is off the selling lists, so I think that's gone too. I know all of the boats on yachtworld, boattrader, and Craigslist, and haven't found what we're looking for yet. We'd prefer a New England down to Chesapeake area, or Great Lakes boat, just for the ease of getting to look at it, but would consider further south on the east coast for the right boat. Not looking for a project boat. Budget is 100-150. With respect to engines, won't consider mack or cat 31xx engines. Too bad, there's a couple out there but I spoke to people with both those engines and there's issues with them.

The admiral prefers the mid master stateroom with a walk around queen and the galley down. That limits me to in order of preference:
    • 1981- 1984 46 convertible, does not have to be an hp.
    • 1989 - 1992 45 convertible. Altho I think she'd consider the '84-'88 model if its clean
    • 52 convertible (the older ones have the queen against the wall, and many come with the galley up, but the boat is big enough and nice enough that we'd consider it)
    • 48 convertible, not thrilled with the master in the bow, but has the galley down
    • 1991 - 1998 43 convertible, same issues as the 48
    If any of you know of one out there, or have one of these that you are considering selling, please PM me.

thanks
    Joe

Re: still looking

I didn't know that about Mack diesels- not even sure I knew they MADE marine diesels. The Cat 31XX engines.... well, they go a long way to making a boat sale proof, sadly.

Yeah Jim, Mack's a good engine. There's a 46 in Miami with a pair that I'd be interested in, except you can't get the after coolers, oil cooler etc. I know of 1 lobster boat that's been trying to find those parts for awhile. No luck, was going to have a custom one made but he's now thinking of repowering. That scared me away from them.

Manchester Mack was building them initially, then corporate started trying to sell them. Then Volvo bought Mack trucks... For some reason they weren't all that keen on having Mack in the marine market. I wonder why?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I didn't know that about Mack diesels- not even sure I knew they MADE marine diesels. The Cat 31XX engines.... well, they go a long way to making a boat sale proof, sadly.
    Didn't Tom Slane build a 53 Express for the owner of Mack?

I remember working on an ole Mathews with some darn beautiful looking Mack engines in her.
    Wow,, they were sweet looking and the owner was very happy with them.

I never knew there were part issues or Volvo purchased the company.

Joe, as a new 52 owner I thought I would share a few things. I wouldn't buy a boat without cockpit or easy engine room access. Mid to Late 80s 52c's have walk-around queens. Do everything you can to raise your budget, it's the cheapest thing you'll ever do.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Eddie, we came in second on a beautiful 52c, just missed it. We loved the boat, but in hindsight, its just the wife and me, and both retirement age. So a little worried it might be too much boat for just the 2 of us. Gotta say tho, they are my favorite.

The 89-92 45c is more than enough boat for us. and in reality, a 41-43 would be the smart move. But there's no 45c's or decent 46s, and plenty of 52s. That's why we looked at it, and promptly fell in love.

Yes, Tom did. Boat was named "Mack Attack", I think. I asked them to name it "Bulldog". Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Yes, Tom did. Boat was named "Mack Attack", I think. I asked them to name it "Bulldog". Nope.
    Was it powered with mack's?