Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boat "Inspection" Prior to Slip Rental

So I've been searching around the St. Pete area for an annual slip for Miss Maggie.

BTW... not so easy to find a slip these days for a 62' LOA with 18' beam.

One marina that may be able to accommodate me has a litany of "rules" that I'm just not accustomed to coming from boating in New England for the last 20+ years.

One is that you can't spend more than 10 nights per month on board or more than 4 nights in a row.... without prior "permission"... and permission will only be given if the marina has the "extra days to allocate". I was told this was a Florida DEP rule/regulation for water quality.... still not quite getting it...

The second one is that the boat is subject to an "inspection" prior to finalizing the lease contract. I have an inquiry into the marina about what exactly does an "inspection" mean and what is the "inspection" acceptance criteria.

I would appreciate any enlightenment on either or both of the above for those with more knowledge about these types of things in Florida.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I also had to provide photos of the boat in and out of the water prior to them even moving forward with consideration for the slip. They said this was to ensure the boat is not a "derelict" boat. Guess I kinda' get it... but it's a whole new world to me....
    Last edited by JD5652; 04-08-2022 at 05:47 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Boat "Inspection" Prior to Slip Rental

That sounds weird. What marina?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    That sounds weird. What marina?
    Sent you a PM....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I know slips are scarce down there, but this doesn't sound like a place you'd want to be in.

Slips are next to impossible to find here in SW Florida. Prices have gone way up as well.

If you would consider moving a bit south of St. Petersburg, you can probably find a spot at Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda. Very nice marina with deep enough access for your LRC (I have one too, and I've been in there many times).

May be few spots left in Ft. Myers Beach area also.

I'd stay away from the Sarasota area as the inlet is tricky and constantly shifting.

Rule number one for Sarasota pass is never use Sarasota pass!😎
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Regarding Sarasota Pass, I heard there is a new "inlet" which looks like it comes straight in from the Gulf. Can anyone comment - Is it marked? How navigable is it?

Some communities regulates live aboard slips so it s not unusual for marinas to do a CYA and out staying aboard restrictions on the contract

As to inspections, I ve never heard of this but I guess they want to eliminate the rift raft, houseboats with window aircons and old wooden semi derelicts. I wouldn’t worry about it

Bottom line, almost no net marinas have been built in SoFl in the last 20 years and the number of boats have doubled or tripled especially 50+ Beggars can’t be choosers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Rule number one for Sarasota pass is never use Sarasota pass!
    Good to hear about that as that was a possible stop over on my way down.... thanks for the intel again...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Some communities regulates live aboard slips so it s not unusual for marinas to do a CYA and out staying aboard restrictions on the contract

As to inspections, I ve never heard of this but I guess they want to eliminate the rift raft, houseboats with window aircons and old wooden semi derelicts. I wouldn’t worry about it

Bottom line, almost no net marinas have been built in SoFl in the last 20 years and the number of boats have doubled or tripled especially 50+ Beggars can’t be choosers
    This particular marina does allow a limited number of liveaboards. Guess the rules are the rules and I'm kinda' between a rock and hard place in the near term.

You may be right that they are trying to keep out the rift raft.... I'll keep this post updated on the outcome...

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL