Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

one final question

Since it seems 58' Hatteras LRC's are impossible to find not destroyed, and are astronomical if you do, what other options are worth the money? Cheoy Lee trawlers? Gulfstar? Jefferson? I prefer the lines of classic boats not the modern looks being built today.

Re: one final question

I don’t think older Cheoy lees and other Taiwan trawlers come close to Hatteras. It s a bit ironic since nowadays Cheoy Lee makes some pretty nice MYs whereas Hatteras has pretty much abandoned that market. I don’t think Gulfstar made any thing over 50’. Defevers have a following but are nowhere near Hatteras quality

In 90% of the cases, a classic Hatteras motoryacht will do the job. Yes the LRCs are a little more economical with longer range but do you really need that
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Come on Pascal, you know there’s a 55 & 63’ Viking/Gulfstar MY, 1987-1991.
    Attached Images

58' Hatteras MY, find one with a blown engine to get same economy. Just gotta steer a little to one side. See Freebird for proper operating instruction!

On a more serious note: Stick with any of the Hatteras models. I got a 53' but if you want the size of the 58 LRC a 58 MY "I would think" would be about the same? I know their are a few 58' my's with the galley up option. I saw one for sale last year for $175, but they are hard to find.

I'm no expert but my guess is 6-8 gallons per hour on a 58 LRC versus 10-12 on a 58 MY at hull speed??
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

If you can make do with a 53, there are some 53's that come with 81-71 natural motors vs. turbo and they get a little better mileage too.

There is one for sale right now that I thought was nice for 105k with newer paint. Opinions may differ!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    58' Hatteras MY, find one with a blown engine to get same economy. Just gotta steer a little to one side. See Freebird for proper operating instruction!

On a more serious note: Stick with any of the Hatteras models. I got a 53' but if you want the size of the 58 LRC a 58 MY "I would think" would be about the same? I know their are a few 58' my's with the galley up option. I saw one for sale last year for $175, but they are hard to find.

I'm no expert but my guess is 6-8 gallons per hour on a 58 LRC versus 10-12 on a 58 MY at hull speed??
    There were two 58 MY models , the galley up version is 15 10 beam , the later 58 was 18 2 . I heard one 61 CP MY was built galley up by Hatteras. I heard that it’s on the west coast.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Come on Pascal, you know there’s a 55 & 63’ Viking/Gulfstar MY, 1987-1991.
    He was referring to the gulfstar trawlers, before the Lazzara family started building the Viking MYs… that said yes theses Lazzara-Vikings are pretty good boats, certainly much better than most Taiwan boats of the same era
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    If you can make do with a 53, there are some 53's that come with 81-71 natural motors vs. turbo and they get a little better mileage too.

There is one for sale right now that I thought was nice for 105k with newer paint. Opinions may differ!
    Typically how much better do the 53's burn? we plan on using the boat as a live aboard and dive boat. It would be help full if it could be operated relatively cost effective. Especially since diesel probably will never come down.

There is no difference in fuel burn between the naturals or turbos. A 53MY classic burns about 9GPH (both engines) at 9kts. The difference with a LRC or a trawler is negligeable even at fjb diesel prices
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    There is no difference in fuel burn between the naturals or turbos. A 53MY classic burns about 9GPH (both engines) at 9kts. The difference with a LRC or a trawler is negligeable even at fjb diesel prices
    Correct, it takes the same amount of fuel to make the same horsepower. Just the turbo engine can make more horsepower (consume lots more fuel) when it opens up.

At hull speeds, The water line length will help determine the best speed.

I would still lean towards a 71 than a 92 while shopping. I think the 71s are more forgiving and head temps stay a lil warmer at slow speed. Maybe not as much slobber in the air box or piston ring washing also.

We mostly fast idle around ourselves. But it is nice to have some ponies when passing thru a bad inlet.