Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Hatteras 67 CPMY burn rates

You're speaking about days of yore with your keyboards.

Did I do that right, Randy?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Wink Re: Hatteras 67 CPMY burn rates

Randy, now I'm confused. I thought you said gph didn't matter. Sorry, I just had to do that...
    Last edited by HahnR; 04-23-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You're speaking about days of yore with your keyboards.

Did I do that right, Randy?
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by HahnR View Post
    Randy, now I'm confused. I thought you said gph didn't matter. Sorry, I just had to do that...
    It doesn’t without speed being part of the equation. My outboard Merc uses 12 GPH but cruises at 55MPH.

I’m actually moving a sister ship to yours in early June from Stuart, FL to the Knoxville area. I’m sure it’ll get about a mile per gallon because it won’t cruise at 55. Math is a wonderful thing, especially gozinta’s.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    You fine kids realize, your bickering between yourselves,, again..
    Lots of the same thoughts, just worded differently.
    The OP (Troll) is long gone.

FYI, gone from the other site also..
    Nice to see asking a simple question makes one a "troll". Questions are bad, correction illegal, don't question anything, got it. And people wonder why this nation is screwed.

Thought I’d share some information and leave this thread in a positive light.

Just heard from the owner of that 58MY that Scott and I brought up from Florida. Here is the text after confirming where we topped the aft tank. Both engines were pulling from that tank.

“That’s 266 gallons for 235 miles. Makes sense. Thanks. Hope you are having a good day!!“

That’s .88MPG into a river current on the Tenn-Tom. I’d say that’s pretty dang close to 1MPG.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Thought I’d share some information and leave this thread in a positive light.

Just heard from the owner of that 58MY that Scott and I brought up from Florida. Here is the text after confirming where we topped the aft tank. Both engines were pulling from that tank.

“That’s 266 gallons for 235 miles. Makes sense. Thanks. Hope you are having a good day!!“

That’s .88MPG into a river current on the Tenn-Tom. I’d say that’s pretty dang close to 1MPG.
    And you trust the guy that told us the aft tank was full when it was 290 gallons short?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    And you trust the guy that told us the aft tank was full when it was 290 gallons short?
    And does it pain you that badly to be wrong? LOL
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Like you said I’m a clock watcher. I try to keep accurate logs especially on a unfamiliar boat. The numbers are the numbers. I filled the tanks to the brim at Appalachicola I ran the forward generator most of the trip since it fed out of the forward tank which was the only one with a working gauge. I only ran the aft generator which had problems enough to let the forward one cool down enough to check the oil. So the generator usage out of the aft tank was minimal. We got to Demopolis and put 459 gallons in the 508 gallon aft tank. We only put 100gal in the forward for the generator to finish the trip. I divided the hours run on the aft tank deducting for time at the locks and came up with 16 GPH best minimal current and wind speed through the water I saw out in the gulf was 11.3 SMPH. Divide it out. Is what it is. You want to make shit up to make yourself feel better about this 1mpg fantasy go ahead. Oh yeah how exactly did you determine they were 735 hp engines? If you remember when the induction hose blew off the outboard turbo on the port engine I was the one who took it apart reindexed the housing and reseated the hose and V band clamps. It was the smaller Garrett turbo with the blanketed exhaust which is indicative of the 650hp version. But since you’re always right maybe you can splain it to me.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Last reply to you as this is starting to get… weird. The ONLY true measure was at the end when the aft tank was refilled and the numbers were reported. The generator for that tank was never operated, and the current was around 1-2MPH on the nose. That resulted in an approximate 10-20% loss of cruising speed. The farther upstream we went, the less current there was. Do the math on that, and that 1MPG number is pretty much there.

There are these wonderful things called mile markers on the ICW and rivers. You can clock watch all you want, but distance is distance, and the number of gallons it takes to get from point A to point B is all that matters when you’re talking miles per gallon and the resulting range. How long it takes you to get there is totally irrelevant. I have covered thousands of miles with these fat girls and their slimmer counterparts, and they all yielded basically the same numbers. To imply that the aft tank wasn’t filled properly after that last leg and skewed the numbers is a bit of a stretch.

I don’t recall if we mentioned that the gauge on the aft tank wasn’t working. That’s why I wanted to run only off the forward tank after topping both as to know exactly how much fuel we had when we were in for a long run where none was available. Learning not to trust the fuel gauge on a new to me boat nor relying on how much fuel was “supposed to be” in a tank is very well documented in these pages.

Oh yeah, as for the HP ratings, I was going by what the owner told me. There is always the possibility that one of us misunderstood that, but it changes nothing about our numbers.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Now, now, y'all knock it off or I'm gonna to turn this car around!