Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras 67 CPMY burn rates

I am in need of data. My Wife and I are looking at a 1989 67' CPMY. This one has the Detroit 12v71 duel turbo diesels. I am trying to figure out what this Hatteras might burn both engines combined per hour, at roughly 6-10 knots and roughly what its range is on its 1100 Gal tank. The boat is in nice shape, no issues per say, and I am needing real world data to contemplate before we potentially buy it. I am a diver so I would like to take it out often. I am also realistic, I don't expect something that size and weight to burn 2 Gal an hour, there's always someone that'll tell you if you can afford it, and even if it burns 5000 an hour you are not supposed to question it, but, I am.

Re: Hatteras 67 CPMY burn rates

First of all 6 kts will be slow for the engines to remain hot enough over long distances. The best speed will be 10kts hull speed where you ll likely burn 15/16gph. You may be able to run at 9kts on 12 GPH or so while keeping the engines hot enough. Running them up after a few slow hours and I’ll help too

That said, to be honest the fuel costs are only just a fraction of the overall costs. Maintenance, dockage, insurance etc will all be the bulk of your budget. Not fuel
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

After 12 years of ownership, in the grand scheme of owning and running a Hatteras to the islands, I find fuel to be the cheapest of ownership. And what Pascal said....
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Unless you want a dock queen, fuel cost is a non-issue in the overall scheme of maintaining a boat this size.

Figure 12GPH at 10 knots. As best I recall that's around 1,200 RPM. Run it above hull speed and it'll break the bank.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Figure 12GPH at 10 knots. As best I recall that's around 1,200 RPM. Run it above hull speed and it'll break the bank.
    That is why I am asking the questions now. I am no idiot, dockage, maintenance and insurance are a large part of it, but the whole point of owning it is being able to actually use it not look at it. And with the lets go brandon diesel prices, actual operating coast (diesel)are far more important than than everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    After 12 years of ownership, in the grand scheme of owning and running a Hatteras to the islands, I find fuel to be the cheapest of ownership. And what Pascal said....
    Well 2-3 years ago fuel was a non issue, but with diesel approaching $5 bucks, actual operating costs out weigh everything else. Especially when the whole reason of owning a boat this size is to be able to use it for diving and a live aboard. Anyone can afford to buy an F86 Sabre jet, the 16K an hour operating cost on the other hand is the problem.

I have owned a 1991 67 ED with 1271 TA engines. My experience is at 10 knots it is 20 gallons per hour today plus generator. At 17 Knots it burns 60 gallons per hour total. I have owned the boat for 17 years and have put 2,500 hours on it and these numbers are bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattatude View Post
    I have owned a 1991 67 ED with 1271 TA engines. My experience is at 10 knots it is 20 gallons per hour today plus generator. At 17 Knots it burns 60 gallons per hour total. I have owned the boat for 17 years and have put 2,500 hours on it and these numbers are bullet proof.
    What HP are your engines?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

900hp