Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras 70 cockpit shaft

It may be a pin that goes through the shaft. It won’t hold the two couplings together. Take a 1” stiff putty knife and sharpen a knife edge on it with a whetstone. Go around the coupling in 4 or 5 places and drive it between the couplings. Don’t try to drive anything like a screwdriver in. All you’ll do is gouge up the coupling. You could always start the engine and bump it in gear as a last resort.

Thank you. I’ll try to do it.

What type of stuffing box is on the shaft? Is it the dripless style or the kind with packing rings? You need to make sure that the shaft can move back a small amount.

The shaft is free to move back.2BF1A638-E3DA-4B04-89F6-E0B3503F7073.jpg

I would like to change the black sealing Cap. That why I need to separate the shaft from the gear trasmission.

Hello,
    anyone knows where I can buy this part of the shaft? Unfortunally it is broken in 3 parts.
    Attached Images

You are going to have to determine who made the coupling and they will sell you the washer. I’m not sure if you’re trying to get to the gearbox seal or pull the coupling to install dripless shaft seals. Was there a big nut on the shaft that held the broken part on? That’s probably a tapered coupling. The part you broke isn’t made to pull the coupling. It’s going to take a good size puller and a lot of heat.

I’m trying to pull the coupling to install dripless shaft seals. there wasn’t a big nut on the shaft that held the broken part on. what you see in the picture locked the shaft.

When you do get the coupling off the shaft , check the shaft for scoring or corrosion, it might leak if not a smooth surface.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    What Is this hole that I see in the picture? Is there something inside?
    what is it meaning?
    When Frederico asked this question, I didn’t know what the hole in the shaft coupling was used for , even though I had them removed. As I am ready to reinstall them , I realize that the hole is used to easily insert the large cotter pin that helps keep the castellated nut on the propeller shaft . By his pictures, his shaft attachment does not use the same system.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL