Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Hatteras 65 open vs enclosed bridge

My wife was on Capt. Morgan at the Palm Beach show, and practically begged me to buy that boat.

Plan is to cruise around Carribean for a few years, prefer EB for toughness, open bridge for lounging around up top

Given the plan of use, what are the thoughts here?

Re: Hatteras 65 open vs enclosed bridge

Do any of the windows open and or slide?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Haven’t you been looking for a boat on here for 15 years? What ear 65? You going to actually fish the boat or just ride around and use it as a condo
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Wink Re: Hatteras 65 open vs enclosed bridge

Yes I have, REALLY wanted to live aboard. But ended up buying three houses instead. Houses were better investments.

Two houses just sold, last house has 115 feet on the New River in Ft. Lauderdale that we have moved to.

My 20 year old gofast customized for fishing (hyperfishing.com) sits on a custom drydock in front, still room for a 65 footer.

Wifey and I have busted up a bunch of body parts in the last couple of years, told wife to retire and today is her last day of work! I plan to semi retire at end of next year, and cruise around for two years, living aboard the boat.

I think a 65 enclosed bridge is the safest (v-16 speed when outracing a storm/weather window, like we have done numerous times in our gofast) easier to maintain (no canvas), great cockpit for occasional fishing and terrific for siding out kayaks and snorkeling gear. But do like the open bridge patio lounge. Hence my poll question for those who have cruised for years and sitting at docks around the Carribean. Which is better .. enclosed bridge or open?

Yes the windows open… critical for sitting at the dock and the breeze blowing thru..,have to clean out the tracks on that boat though..

I am going to vote open unless the EB can really open up and give me the sites, smells, and feel of an flybridge while cruising the Caribbean.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Well the wife would likely be driving from the tower, she loves zipping right up tuna towers, similar feeling to flying our old Cherokee Six I guess. Great visibility to spot coral heads too.

I forgot to add she is a hell of a navigator also. She found east rockaway inlet dead center, with her backup last/long Etrex and paper charts. No big deal? Well it was in a hurricane Kyle sponsored complete salt spray whiteout, in 10-20 foot seas, that shorted out all our gofast instruments!

Enclosed Bridge….I would not have it any other way. After making a 12+ hr run you are not beat up by the wind and elements. Or even a 4hr run in the bahamas you can experience a full gamete of weather - sunshine to rain. Full climate control is exceptional and we can open the windows if we so desire.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Thanks, that is exactly as I suspected but was not sure.

Do you anchor out or stay in marinas for long periods?

Wondered about the open bridge lounging comfort and privacy that is not really there in the enclosed bridge.

Travel safety and comfort is the first concern though.

What is your power and do you have stabilizers?

I envision mostly cruising at 10 knots to maximize fuel “Economy” with stabilizers out, but retracting them and cranking up the V-16s to 30 knots to make a weather window, or out race a storm.

Done that many times in our go fast, other slow cruisers/trawlers were stuck in Nantucket etc for days or weeks.